Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

NFS Helmet '27'

Article about: Hello folks. This arrived yesterday, slightly overshadowed by the arrival of another item. A very well-worn NFS helmet pertaining to district 27; Cheadle, Manchester. Compared to my other NF

Default NFS Helmet '27'

Hello folks.

This arrived yesterday, slightly overshadowed by the arrival of another item. A very well-worn NFS helmet pertaining to district 27; Cheadle, Manchester. Compared to my other NFS lid, this one is far from perfect. But it was one I just had to have. Even if this one is not in mint condition, it shows bucketloads of character, as I'm sure my photographs will convey.

The shell stamp is unreadable, with only 'C 19' clearly visible. Another stamp is just barely visible beneath it, partially covered by the chinstrap bale and cloaked by a patch of rust. It looks like 1939 to me. The liner is a 'Vero' size 7 1/4, dated 1938. The initials of the original owner 'J.P.' are both scratched and painted on the rear of the brim, as well as a stenciled number that is presumably his service number.

The chinstrap has seen better days, commensurate with the condition with the shell. It remains firmly attached and elastic, however. Both the NFS and number decals have suffered from some paint loss, but nothing that diminishes their appeal significantly. The paint loss continues over the dome of the shell, where one can see myriad scuffs and scratches.

As stated at the beginning, this is a helmet that's seen some honest use! It would have seen use during the Manchester Blitz, and its condition reflects that. This, at least to me, is an example of why minty items aren't always the best.

NFS Helmet '27'NFS Helmet '27'NFS Helmet '27'NFS Helmet '27'NFS Helmet '27'NFS Helmet '27'NFS Helmet '27'

Regards, B.B.

Nice...would’ve sat nicely in the MkII thread......

Looks great to me, these items should show their history, but at the same time I also have some minty items as in their own that also shows the history.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Composite View Post
    The problem with the one stop thread is that you have to troll through pages of helmets to find the one you want whereas in its own thread you do a search and bingo, IMO. Personally I think these helmets should go in the big MKII thread but also have their own thread.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Composite View Post
    I keep forgetting that thread! When your NFS thread reaches 27, I'll be sure to post it there.

Regards, B.B.