Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Nice mk2 textured Army Helmet.

Article about: Purchased some time ago,never seen one in this condition before,very unusual indeed,does it look right to the trained eye?thanks in advance.

Hi, looks like a good period rough texture MKII helmet to me. I would be happy with it. Leon.

SMP
    ?

The texture looks rougher than you usually see from the factory. My instinct would be that it was post factory applied - perhaps by a home guard .

Cheers everyone for your input,I guess collecting is an ongoing learning session,taking so many things into account,I agree the sand texturing is coarse and may well have been re-applied some time after intitial production,if it was done by hand I would expect to see a very uneven spread across the whole Helmet,interesting with regards to the pad,does the 1 above mean January?if so that would be exceptionally early mk2 wouldn't it?thanks either way.

?

I think all here would jump at this one, I have a few that have been repainted. Why they were done like the 2nd AA when they didn't even leave our shores who knows.
    The Mk2 liner replaced the Mk1 in 1939, yours has been stamped for an Mk1 before it was made into a Mk2.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I think all here would jump at this one, I have a few that have been repainted. Why they were done like the 2nd AA when they didn't even leave our shores who knows.
    The Mk2 liner replaced the Mk1 in 1939, yours has been stamped for an Mk1 before it was made into a Mk2.
    Agree on the jumping on it.

As regards the repainting, perhaps easier to do if your at home with plenty of time and perhaps better access to the material and equipment to do the work than stuck in the front line, always moving or ducking under cover.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Aaron,i always thought that was the date as seen on the shells example 1/40,unless this too doesn't mean month either?guess when you spend so long with one type of steel its easy to ignore whats around you,so 1/39 mk1 but x added instead of oval pad,this is good educating stuff from great members who really know there onions,thanks as always.

?

Mk1 liners had riveted rubber buffers and oval top pad.
    Mk2 liners had push fit rubber buffers and an rubber cruciform pad.Making for cheaper production and a less skilled work force needed ,which also cut production time.

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Yes a very nice helmet, well done.
    I'd like to get one sooner rather than later but don't really have the experience to spot anything dodgy with textured paint but one day, one day.

Tony

I pulled the trigger the day it was listed as a B.I.N or best offer,didn't hang around on this one,someone else would have got it,apparently the seller got it at a kent bootsale about 15 years ago,original stall seller said it did have a net but that had long gone.

SMP
    ?

I bet it was issued as a shiny Khaki helmet and the texture was added so it could be used by the military.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2