Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Not sure what this is?

Article about: Hey guys, Recently found this is someone's backyard, sitting in the dirt. No idea where it came from, why or how long it was sitting there. All I know is that it is British / Commonwealth st

?

Default Not sure what this is?

Hey guys,

Recently found this is someone's backyard, sitting in the dirt. No idea where it came from, why or how long it was sitting there.

All I know is that it is British / Commonwealth style helmet. The helmet is in Australia. There are no marking on it that I can see. There are two fixture points on the sides and one on the top.

There is an entry hole at the front, but I have no idea if that is combat related or if someone just knocked it in with a hammer. There is also a hairline crack off to the left of it.

Here are some pictures:

Not sure what this is?Not sure what this is?

Default Re: Not sure what this is?

Aussie raw edge WW2 helmet ( should be a stamp on one of the side lugs )
    Looks like a pick damage to it ...... shame, would have made a nice dog bowl
    Dan

?

Cool, it's fairly rusty but still solid and not flaking.

Is there a way to clean it up and stablilise it? I'd like to bring it inside and hang it up.

Quote by DioMac View Post
    Cool, it's fairly rusty but still solid and not flaking.

Is there a way to clean it up and stablilise it? I'd like to bring it inside and hang it up.
    Like Dan said WW2 Aussie MkII helmet.
    Mate its your choice,you could just keep it as it is,a rusty relic (holed and cracked) or (and i dont usually recommend this) you could sand it back and give it a lick of paint for display purposes only,entirely up to you.
    In its present condition its worth next to nothing,but if you want it for sentimental reasons,get the sandpaper out
    Cheers Mick

?

In someone's backyard!

?

I have no idea how it got there AMTG, it was just sitting under an olive tree. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it.

I think I'll scrub it up, paint it in OD green or something. It's solid enough to deserve it. Had a look on ebay and liners and webbing look pretty cheap - so might be a nice little project.

I have a 700 round .303 mk7 ammo box that I use to keep all my militaria in (I cleaned it up and put a cork underlay with some green felt in the bottom), so it'll look nice on the shelf next to it.

Not sure what this is?Not sure what this is?Not sure what this is?
    Last edited by DioMac; 06-25-2012 at 06:35 AM.

?

What's in the box mate!

- - Updated - -

I have a helmet in similar condition I found at an airfield near Darwin....I hit it with black kill rust and painted the top olive drab..

?