Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NZ HARDLEYS helmet

Article about: Hi all, does any one have any info on these lids?? The only info I could find out was that they were produced in a tin can factory in Auckland NZ and that the liner was made by a suitcase ma

Default NZ HARDLEYS helmet

Hi all, does any one have any info on these lids?? The only info I could find out was that they were produced in a tin can factory in Auckland NZ and that the liner was made by a suitcase manufacturer...

Were they used for home guard personal or for troops also?? Any info would be much appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NZ HARDLEYS helmet   NZ HARDLEYS helmet  

NZ HARDLEYS helmet   NZ HARDLEYS helmet  

?

From what I can gather these helmets were used by civil defence like wardens, rescue & fire.But maybe not the home guard.

As said above,ive got a few of these including one with the word FIRE painted on the front.Apparently they were used exclusively by The EPS, Emergency Precautions Scheme. They also made Dee shaped mess tins during WW1.
    I tried to do a bit of research on them a while back but only found out what you already know.
    Cheers Mick

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info. Would be great to see your Hardleys lid pics?? I will keep researching and see what else i can find. Regards.

Great topic! Is one of the distinguishing factors of the NZ lids (Aussie too?) the lack of edge binding? What era are these from? From the shell and bales they almost look 1st pat Brodies. The whole ensemble very spartan. Hope more info is forthcoming.

Note the squared - off fitting for the d-rings....very early style Brodies. Anyone......?

Hi Nigel,
    Yes the Aussie and NZ helmets have no rim like the UK examples,a cost cutting measure im sure.
    These WW2 NZ Hardleys would have been Private Purchase lids for the Volunteer groups,they were not issued by the NZ government as far as im aware.
    Australia didnt seem to have any Private Purchase helmets in WW2 instead the ARP were issued Australian Commonwealth Steel manufactured MkIIs the same as the Armed Forces.In WW1 we were issued English Brodies.
    Cheers Mick

The 'Helmet No.1 Mk II' as the Australian pattern is named was produced without the rolled manganese steel edge because there was no industrial capacity to do so in Australia at the time-made from 1939 onwards for a total of 2 million.

Hi All. I thought I would kick start this thread again with a WW2 New Zealand made Wardens helmet I just acquired. I waited quite a while to find this example. Although the do appear fairly regularly here often they they are quite rusty due to poor storage and the fact they seemed to only receive one thin layer of paint in the factory. Also the liner being what they are they break down quickly if not looked after.
    Made by Hardleys Auckland metalwork factory in 1942. A little history on wardens and the EPS in New Zealand.
    The EPS (Emergency Precaution Scheme) was set up in New Zealand, after the Napier earthquake of 1931, essentially a fore-runner of today's Civil Defence.
    In January 1942, it was made compulsory for able bodied men 18-65 not serving in the forces, to join. Women were also asked to volunteer.
    The Wardens were a section of the EPS, who during wartime, were tasked with such duties as building trenches and shelters, planning for evacuations, the protection of school children, watching for fires, policing blackouts etc.
    Enjoy
    Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NZ HARDLEYS helmet   NZ HARDLEYS helmet  

NZ HARDLEYS helmet  

Hi Jason,that is in fantastic condition,well done.
    My examples are quite rusted.
    This is my FIRE example of the Hardleys helmet.
    Cheers Mick

?

An interesting helmet, and in great condition Jason.
    Nice to see your example again Mick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast