Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Observer Corps "Tommy Helmet"

Article about: Hello chaps, what do you make of this one? It is being sold as a unit marked Royal Observer Corps helmet. Now I will firstly admit that I am no expert on unit markings but I was in the ROC!

?

I wonder if it is an Mk2 No2A, 1 hole in the brim, which looks to have been filled. Or they put the chin strap lug in the wrong place & moved it?

Hello, it is the same on both sides, there is an "extra" rivet plugging the holes. I assumed it was just drilled incorrectly and that's why it ended up as Home Front use, but I would love to know what the issue really is with these "extra" rivets! Leon.

Any update on the rivet issue chaps? Leon.

?

Nice Mk II Leon I would gladly display it in my collection as previously mentioned by Jerry flashed helmets are getting hard to find and the price in the market place reflects that IMO.

Regards Mark

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hello, it is the same on both sides, there is an "extra" rivet plugging the holes. I assumed it was just drilled incorrectly and that's why it ended up as Home Front use, but I would love to know what the issue really is with these "extra" rivets! Leon.
    I think there would have been 1 hole on either side marking is as a MKII No2a but someone must have filled it in like on my MKII No2c with 3 holes on either side and as you guessed MKII No2b has 2 holes on either side all of these are intended for home front usage.
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Quote by Steelhead10 View Post
    I think there would have been 1 hole on either side marking is as a MKII No2a but someone must have filled it in like on my MKII No2c with 3 holes on either side and as you guessed MKII No2b has 2 holes on either side all of these are intended for home front usage.
    Thank you for your input, most appreciated as these "bowlers" are not my usual area. Leon.

I am inclined to think that it was a miss drilled for the lugs rather than a homefront cock up, because it has the proper chin strap lug rivets in it. I have one with too many holes and they have been filled with weld and I have seen another with crappy rivets in the holes, just to hide them, but this looks like it was done at the factory and they filled them with the lug rivets. Just an opinion though, what sort of paint does it have, home front or army textured?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, I would say it is Home Front tan paint as it is smooth to the touch. I cannot see or feel any "un-even" texture to it. There is also no hint of a "shine" to the paint unlike some NFS type helmet paint. Leon.

To my eyes it looks as if the extra rivets are one in front and one behind when looked at from above which fits more with it being wrongly drilled rivet holes rather than home front lower grade magnetic steel indicator holes. If they were the latter I would expect both to either be in front of or behind the lug rivets or at least both in the same location relative to the lug rivets.

A great lid Leon, whatever the case.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Anon View Post
    To my eyes it looks as if the extra rivets are one in front and one behind when looked at from above which fits more with it being wrongly drilled rivet holes rather than home front lower grade magnetic steel indicator holes.

A great lid Leon, whatever the case.
    Thanks Jerry, here are some extra pictures of the rivets and there positioning. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Observer Corps "Tommy Helmet"   Observer Corps "Tommy Helmet"  

Observer Corps "Tommy Helmet"   Observer Corps "Tommy Helmet"  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast