Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup

Article about: by aj4010 The knowledge on this forum is breathtaking. Kind Regards, Andy It amazes me sometimes. very nice old warrior, she definitely deserves to be taken care of, good to see that is happ

?

Default Re: Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Well, in that case, my first thought would be Royal Fusiliers. They were definitely using red/blue patches and flashes during the war in the form of squares, diamonds, rectangles. Loupie1961 and I were discussing their insignia in this thread a while ago: BD blouse to a major in 2nd Royal Fusiliers, 56th London Division and ended up probably more confused then we started The R Fus were also an Africa/Italy unit, so it would fit in well with the paint schemes.

Rob
    Thanks Rob, you are a gem mate. I just Googled Royal Fusiliers WW2 helmet flash, and up popped a lid posted on an obscure forum called WRF, by a guy called aj4010 I instinctively knew HE would know bu**er all about it, so I did not click the link!

Thanks again,

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Household Cavalry- Iraq, Palestine, Alamein, Syria then Italy???
    Ned, I have tried to find Household Cavalry WW2 flashes on the intertubes, and I have failed miserably.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

very nice lid andy thanks for sharing

?

Quote by col james View Post
    very nice lid andy thanks for sharing
    Thanks James, it has real character, and looking more closely at it under the loupe, it seems to me that the light tan paint was crudely removed before the rough green over paint. I guess the guy did not want all the weight of that paint on his head, when he knew he was going to Italy!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Ok, a liner and chinstrap have been fitted to the old girl. The liner is BMB 1940. I am not sure about the bolt though, is this a variation on the issued ones, or is it a replacement?
    Any help appreciated.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup   Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup  

Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup   Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

I can't really see the nut and bolt that well possibly a MK.111, Here is a picture showing all three marks from left to right MK.1 introduced in January 1938, MK.11 with simmonds elastic stop nut introduced march 1940 and the MK.111 with a reduced head size as a economy measure introduced in 1942.
    Attached Images Attached Images Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup 
    Last edited by joseph barrett; 06-25-2012 at 12:59 PM.

?

Quote by joseph barrett View Post
    I can't really see the nut and bolt that well possibly a MK.111, Here is a picture showing all three marks from left to right MK.1 introduced in January 1938, MK.11 with simmonds elastic stop nut introduced march 1940 and the MK111 three with a reduced head size as a economy measure introduced in 1942.
    Thank you, that is exactly the info I needed. It's a MK3, the nut seems to have embedded itself in the liner, and I'm not keen on digging it out. Thank you again,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Good looking lid, always nice to see them with a flash.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The nut & bolt is none of the ones mentioned, I don't know the exact name it was given but it was brought in as an economy measure. Some come with a small nut to go with the bolt, & often with a washer, some use the MkI nut & some the elastic stop nut. They are often seen on home front helmets & sometimes on army ones, of all the raw edge BMB's 1941 I've had they always come on those. It seems the home front MkII's made in 43 don't have them as they use the MkIII nut & bolt, economy measures were probably over by that time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup   Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup  

Old War Horse-My Latest Pickup  

?

The knowledge on this forum is breathtaking.

Kind Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast