Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet

Article about: I'd like to get some opinions on this "original" Mark II para helmet? My main collecting focus is on Commonwealth Air Forces, so I need a bit of help. From my initial glances at th

?

Default Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet

I'd like to get some opinions on this "original" Mark II para helmet? My main collecting focus is on Commonwealth Air Forces, so I need a bit of help.

From my initial glances at the photos, it looked ok, but the more I examine it the more doubts I have. All markings have been worn off the liner, so maker and date can't be confirmed. This is the first para I have seen with the green internal webbing, not sure if this is correct for a war dated example. The last thing I noticed, and it really sticks out, are the brass liner screws. They don't appear to be original to the helmet, they have no patina. My thinking is this might be a converted HSDR or HSRAC that has been drilled to accept a para liner and new brass screws installed.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet
    Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet
    Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet Opinions Wanted on this Mark II Para Helmet

?

Ok first off I am not a HSAT expert but I believe it is a Belgium HSAT from the liner, and bolt pattern.

?

Yes, I'd too would go with Belgium issue.

Agreed.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I too believe it is Belgian production, see for example the green cradle webbing and straps (which if Belgian will have white thread) and the double rows of sewing on the headband joint. Absolute confirmation will be if you can find Belgian makers marks , like SARTEL or the ABL acceptance stamp, though these are not on all Belgian-made HSATs, and conversely NO British makers marks on the leather headband (which seem to me to be universally applied).

That being said there is something unusual about it. I know more about the Belgian helmets than the UK products, and this one seems as if someone may have made some effort to make it look more UK than Belgian.

An interesting helmet anyway, though it might be outside your collecting plan (though probably within mine!)

Hybrid at best I fear. If you want a REAL Brit WW2 para be prepared to pay up...and that's probably why we see so many sexed-up HSRAC or tweaked Belgian ones....

Quote by Composite View Post
    Hybrid at best I fear. If you want a REAL Brit WW2 para be prepared to pay up...and that's probably why we see so many sexed-up HSRAC or tweaked Belgian ones....
    The man may be right. It's also worth wondering exactly *why* both Belgian-made para helmets and Swiss-purchased and converted HSAT helmets are apparently often turned back into something that is actually much more common as the real thing than either of the source helmets. Same thing happens with Belgian-made MkIII - not many to begin with, but frequently altered to appear to be 'D-Day' MkIII helmets. Now almost impossible to find. Waste waste waste. I blame re-enactors.

"re-enactors"?...that's an interesting spelling of "money-making deceiving sellers" ! :-)