Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original British Airborne helmet?

Article about: Hello This helmet is for sale, and the seller claims that it's a WW2 orginal British airborne helmet dated 1943 and manufactured by BMB. But I can't see that date on the pictures so I was do

Default Original British Airborne helmet?

Hello

This helmet is for sale, and the seller claims that it's a WW2 orginal British airborne helmet dated 1943 and manufactured by BMB. But I can't see that date on the pictures so I was doubting if he's really WW2. I hope you guys can help me out.

Original British  Airborne helmet?Original British  Airborne helmet?Original British  Airborne helmet?Original British  Airborne helmet?Original British  Airborne helmet?Original British  Airborne helmet?Original British  Airborne helmet?Original British  Airborne helmet?

?

Hi Jellebb I am not an expert on these by any means but I will give you my opinion the BMB shield looks correct for a war time produced HSAT and there is a date visible on the right hand side of the shield it does appear to be a 43 but is quite hard to make out .
    The sorbo rubber and dome pad look correct and the netting looks to be mid to late war knotted it is near impossible to tell when the scrim would have been applied as it was used late war and post war alike but IMO it does stand a chance of being late war applied.
    Please wait for other opinions as there are other members here that are much more knowledgeable than I when it comes to HSATS.
    Here are a couple of images of my 1944 dated BMB for comparison

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original British  Airborne helmet?   Original British  Airborne helmet?  

Original British  Airborne helmet?  

?

They only made these Mk2 HSAT in 43 & 44 during the war, & as the stamp looks original then there is no problems as to it being WW2.
    43 sits well with the khaki green paint inside, as the first Mk2 HSAT were painted this colour then dark brown.
    From those pics it looks like a darker colour has been added in placesto the outside, or it could be rust, not sure. If cammo, very hard to tell when this was done, % wise most likely post war.

Looks ok to me as tinlid has put

?

I am always suspicious of the dates in para helmets when the critical part of the date numbering is "damaged". To me, that "3" looks to be too close to the shield for a 4 to fit in ...
    In other words, that "3" could easily be a "5", making this a post war 1950's BMB manufactured liner.
    I have seen examples of BMB up to and including 1954 !

I would personally be careful here ...

Gary J.

?

Hi Gary, By that date the stamp would look like this, although this is a DR helmet. HSAT were not produced from 1945-51/52ish.
    Attached Images Attached Images Original British  Airborne helmet? 

?

Tinlid, This discussion on manufacture in the early 50's has been gone through quite a few times on other forums.
    I can assure you that BMB were producing para liners in the same date style in the early / mid fifties.
    I have seen a few, but have never bothered to keep a reference photo.
    These liners were fitted in para shells .... NOT DR.

Next time I see one, I will get a snap for reference and post it ..

Cheers

Gary J.

Looks like it's dated 1945 to me!...

?

It's the old adage on para lids !
    .... Damaged date ..... Stay away .....
    (There are plenty of web strap examples with clear dates out there ..... so buy a clear cut item !)
    Last edited by Gary J; 09-21-2014 at 08:58 PM.

?

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Tinlid, This discussion on manufacture in the early 50's has been gone through quite a few times on other forums.
    I can assure you that BMB were producing para liners in the same date style in the early / mid fifties.
    I have seen a few, but have never bothered to keep a reference photo.
    These liners were fitted in para shells .... NOT DR.

Next time I see one, I will get a snap for reference and post it ..

Cheers

Gary J.
    Gary is right ,liners from the 50ies are marked the same as 43/44 liners.

regards,

Johan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast