Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original Rat Of Tobruk Holed Aussie English Helmet. 2/48TH Battalion

Article about: This helmet is a real time capsule. It belonged to my grandfathers best friend, Harold Good SX7234 2nd/48th Battalion AIF. Harry was wearing this helmet at Tobruk, when he was shot in the he

?

Default Original Rat Of Tobruk Holed Aussie English Helmet. 2/48TH Battalion

This helmet is a real time capsule. It belonged to my grandfathers best friend, Harold Good SX7234 2nd/48th Battalion AIF. Harry was wearing this helmet at Tobruk, when he was shot in the head. You can see the entry and exit hole, as well as the damage to the lining where the bullet passed through. Harry always said it parted his hair, leaving a slight graze, a very lucky man. He kept the helmet as a reminder of his lucky escape. The unusual thing about the helmet is that it is a British model, not Australian. I now wonder how many Aussies in the Middle East wore these, and why? Harry passed away back in 2000, so I an unable to find ask him for further details. I have included a few photos of Harry and he is not wearing a helmet in any of them. I thought this was something worth sharing with you all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Rat Of Tobruk Holed Aussie English Helmet. 2/48TH Battalion   Original Rat Of Tobruk Holed Aussie English Helmet. 2/48TH Battalion  

Original Rat Of Tobruk Holed Aussie English Helmet. 2/48TH Battalion   Original Rat Of Tobruk Holed Aussie English Helmet. 2/48TH Battalion  

Original Rat Of Tobruk Holed Aussie English Helmet. 2/48TH Battalion   Original Rat Of Tobruk Holed Aussie English Helmet. 2/48TH Battalion  

That is a cracking helmet with a superb provenance!

Lucky lucky guy.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Great helmet and story, the helmet is in fact an South African Mk2.
    An early one by the looks of the colour paint inside, is the liner dated 1940 /41?

Awesome Piece of History Tobruk . The helmet speaks in volumes already since it was owned by your grandfather. Im sure as time passes with your posting..I think you will find out more about the unit he was in..and Aussie service time in that area.

I dont see a dead end..I see an entrance to possibly more info. Very Nice. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Great thing to have with its history.

As Aaron pointed out, it is a South African helmet, rather than British. There was lots of sharing of kit, especially in the western desert where supplies would be interrupted on a regular basis, and the troops were issued what ever was in the stores or they picked up what was to hand.

Lucky he survived and you knew him, respect.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thank you both for the information. I only collect Aussie lids, so my knowledge is limited on other models. What feature is the tell for a South African helmet? I will check on the liner date, the helmet is in a display at the moment.

The 3 holes in the brim, the type of liner and the chinstrap lug rivets.

Good to see the very early possibly pre war slouch hat with the cloth brim trim and hook and eye. Also with the wide single fold pug bands in use, again an early feature.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Thank you Jerry, what were the 3 holes for, a flap?

Quote by TOBRUK View Post
    Thank you Jerry, what were the 3 holes for, a flap?
    So it is thought but you never see them (I think one might exist), however soldiers made their own so perhaps that is what it was meant for, use a bit of cloth to shade your neck.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast