MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Painted Helmets

Article about: hell. why not if it trips your trigger. looks good.

Default Re: Painted Helmets

hell. why not if it trips your trigger. looks good.

?

I do not see an issue with painting your own helmets for the purpose of reenacting or display but please do remember that they will age and start to take on a genuine patina with usage .
    And there are enough messed with helmets out there already and some very uninformed collectors so if these lids are ever passed on to some one else it would be a shame to see them being sold as originals in a few years .
    IMO it would be a good ideal to mark the inside of the shell for what they truly are other than that I like them but they do need to be toned down a bit as the white and red are very crisp and bright.

Regards Mark K

It's a dilemma...Korean era lids are collectable in their own right and IMO shouldn't be used as fodder for enhancement but ultimately it's up to the owner to do with as he pleases. Plus it makes the rest of the Korean era lids just that bit more rare as umessed examples are taken out of circulation.

better to use a european m1 clone if just for re enactment ,than mess with the real deal and i would be tempted to keep the latter for the shelf
    Regards James

JBR
    ?

Did you mean Korean War US Army surplus or South Korean Army surplus, Bl00dSniper266? If the latter, probably better than a European M1 copy for your purpose. However, also if the latter, I for one would be very interested in seeing an 'as found' Korean Army M1............ Best Regards,

PS: IMO, reproducing any period helmet accurately is a massive challenge. To impress experienced collectors a high degree of skill and knowledge is required. You don't have to be that experienced to spot many non-originals in films or reinactments - often even at a distance.

Quote by JBR View Post
    Did you mean Korean War US Army surplus or South Korean Army surplus, Bl00dSniper266? If the latter, probably better than a European M1 copy for your purpose. However, also if the latter, I for one would be very interested in seeing an 'as found' Korean Army M1............ Best Regards,

PS: IMO, reproducing any period helmet accurately is a massive challenge. To impress experienced collectors a high degree of skill and knowledge is required. You don't have to be that experienced to spot many non-originals in films or reinactments - often even at a distance.
    Yeah. I meant Korean War US Army. I actually have an original front seam WW2 helmet AND a rear seam Korean War helmet in my collection. The Korean War helmet has seen use since it has dents in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2