Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Para or Dispatch Rider?

Article about: Guys, Not my bag so I am open to suggestion? I thought para but it is similar to DR if my memory serves me? It is dated 1944 but has what I believe to be a post war Army number and name, and

Default Para or Dispatch Rider?

Guys,

Not my bag so I am open to suggestion?

I thought para but it is similar to DR if my memory serves me?

It is dated 1944 but has what I believe to be a post war Army number and name, and another name?

I know this is not unusual as we had war time webb items on issue up to PLCE and then even the compass pouches were still 37 wartime or 58 as there was no equivilant at the time.

It has had a bit of a hard life and I remember that the chinstrap I had from a pal some time after I had the helmet so it is not original to it.

Regards

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Para or Dispatch Rider?   Para or Dispatch Rider?  

Para or Dispatch Rider?   Para or Dispatch Rider?  

Para or Dispatch Rider?   Para or Dispatch Rider?  

ian
    ?

Default Re: Para or Dispatch Rider?

your right about the ser no of johnson 24331091 is from the vey late 60s or early 70s i got my ser no in 1975 and the first four are 2435 ,cheers ian

NCA
    ?

Nice lid.it sure looks correct to me..3 point chinstrap ect..Iirc the despatch rider helmets have an all leather part that covers the ears and nape.
    Prehaps the serial numbers were simply later additions?
    Id love to find one..

Good original wartime airborne helmet. These had a long service life and postwar paint, insignia and service numbers etc are common to find.

Cheers, Ade.

very nice Para lid mate You are very lucky... I have wanted one for a wee while but have not managed to get one (yet)

?

The chinstraps are of post-war Belgium manufacture; I'd change them for proper ones if I were you.

Hi Jock,
    A very nice helmet. My example also carries two names, and was supposed to have been used at Suez. As for the army number, my first four are... 2415 - and I signed up in January 69.

Harry.

Guys,

Thanks for the input, I don't suppose anyone know the going rate for an original chinstrap?

Thanks

Jock

?

A very nice battle Bowler and a very luck find indeed these days, as to genuine chin cups I've not seen any for some time, and as to price I've now idea.

Nige H
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "