Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PASGT Helmets - A Couple of Questions, Please?

Article about: Thank you Russ & Son. Yes, that's useful site but it doesn't answer the question (or at least, I haven't found the answer there). Even Mark Reynosa's book doesn't help. Input much apprec

JBR
    ?

Default PASGT Helmets - A Couple of Questions, Please?

!. PASGT Sizing Marks: Inside the crown will be found, for example 'M-1'. The meaning of the letter is obvious but what does the number indicate? I have it in my head that it may indicate depth but I can't remember where I got this idea from. Could they simply indicate the mould used?

2. PASGT Paint Colour: These helmets are usually a brownish OD but occasionally you come across green versions. Does anyone know the significance of this? I've guessed it could mean export version or even Marine issue but these are only guesses. Does anyone know the actual reason for the colour difference?

I've searched for answers in books and online, without success, so I'd really appreciate members' comments. Best Regards,

Default Re: PASGT Helmets - A Couple of Questions, Please?

i would say the M is for size medium
    Regards James

JBR
    ?

Yes, and you get 'L' for Large, 'S' for Small, of course - but, the numeral varies.......... What does it mean? Best Regards,

?

Hi JBR

I dont know myself for sure but I have had a few PASGT's with different numbers after the S,M,L,XL & never noticed any difference between them which leads me to believe what I have read a few times in that it indicates what mold was used by the manufacturer. Cheers! Sean.

im sorry jbr i do apologise i did'nt read your first post closely enough i can see now you already understand the meaning of the letters ,normally the date of manufacture is in a circle for example 83/84 1983 1984 a batch of these would be made during this period ,i hope ive been more helpfull this time ,please let me know if im off the mark again regards james
    Regards James

JBR
    ?

Thanks Sean and James. Much appreciated. Any ideas about colour? Best Regards,

hi jbr ,to be honest ive only ever seen examples of pasgt's in olive drab green not brown but i have seen black examples used by special forces, best regards james
    Regards James

?

Hi JBR

I am with James there the PASGTS I have owned have all been the same OD green but I would speculate it would have more to do with the manufacturers just simply using different paints as apposed to them being different for branch of service as they are all worn with covers once issued. Its not the best comparison I know but its well known during WW2 German helmets issued to the Wehrmacht & SS came in a number of different colours & finishes & a lot of people will put that down the branch of service like "ss field-grey" or " army field green" for e.g but fact is it had nothing to do with the branch of service just different manufacturers using different colours as they were never standardized as whole during WW2. Cheers! Sean.

JBR
    ?

Thanks for that, Sean. The alternative colour I'm thinking of is a much greener version of OD than the more familiar colour. You often see it in photos of - say, Afghan troops. Which is why I wonder if it might be an 'export' colour. Best Regards,

Don't know if this link might be helpful but I thought I'd throw it out there, it's the one I always go to for info on US K-Pots

Military Combat Helmets

Regards,

Russ & Son

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast