Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Plasfort Helmet S / FAW ?

Article about: Having a long overdue tidy up, in my collection room and I'm reaching parts that have not seen daylight for years. Found this buried at the back, Plasfort marked S over FAW, guessing it's Sh

Default Plasfort Helmet S / FAW ?

Having a long overdue tidy up, in my collection room and I'm reaching parts that have not seen daylight for years.
    Found this buried at the back, Plasfort marked S over FAW, guessing it's Shelter / First Aid Warden ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plasfort Helmet S / FAW ?   Plasfort Helmet S / FAW ?  

I think you may be right with that guess, but I don't think there's any way of knowing for sure. So many variations of these helmets exist that it's difficult to nail down a definite meaning.
    I can't think of any other combinations that would fit with these letters. I know that those who manned First Aid Posts had 'F.A.P' stenciled on their helmets, and Street Fire Parties had 'S.F.P'. But Fire Parties more often used Zuckerman helmets. 'S' on its own stands more chance of being 'Shelter' than anything else, but it could just as easily stand for 'Street'.

There are a couple of resident experts here who will doubtlessly be able to help you. They'll turn up sooner or later, I'm sure.

Regards, B.B.

...well, whilst we're waiting for the arrival of the resident experts.....here's my tupen'orth........ I've never seen or read about a First Aid WARDEN....Parties & Posts yes......but as Mr Fast points out, it could be virtually anything....even a Company's initials. 'pretty sure there were "Fire Wardens" (not "FW"s) in some Industrial ARP groups..so I quite expect someone to suggest "Assistant" soon too!

it's a first for me...which is always heartening (and annoying!!!)

'nice tho...perhaps it'll be on your stall at War and Peace :-)

Sorry Compo, it's a keeper. I've a couple more helmets that have reappeared this morning, I might put some piccies on a bit later, if your interested ?
    Mr 39

'always interested Mr39......you should know that by now ;-)

...but shouldn't they be added to the long-running MkII thread...there's hundreds in there.....'just a thought.....(nag, nag, nag :-) )