MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

police helmet mkIV

Article about: just to share my latest pickup this turtle has the mkIV lift the dot liner and is dated 1952 ,i would like to learn why the police used this military issue steel helmet post war ,the decal a

Default police helmet mkIV

just to share my latest pickup this turtle has the mkIV lift the dot liner and is dated 1952 ,i would like to learn why the police used this military issue steel helmet post war ,the decal appears to be waterslide and it has the usual liner markings found on the shell indicating helmet stacking ,this is my third turtle in the collection police helmet mkIVpolice helmet mkIVpolice helmet mkIVpolice helmet mkIVpolice helmet mkIVpolice helmet mkIVpolice helmet mkIV
    Regards James

I too James would like to know the answer to that very question,nice MK1V in any case and the Helmet looks in top notch condition,luv that cool blue colour paint,well done on acquiring another turtle lid...........

thanks jake ,it really is a striking blue ,well im not afraid to ask the question so hopefully we will both learn the answer ,my only guess was perhaps military police ,thanks again mate
    Regards James

Hi James, nice POLICE turtle there, I guess the riot police used these turtles but I do not know for sure. Leon.

?

The only bit of info' I could find was this: With the development of the Cold War in the 1950s the police took on responsibility for much of the civil defence planning for nuclear war.

The police helmet pictured above (which is the same as shown by James)was introduced at the end of the Second World War and remained in use throughout the Cold War period of the 1950s and 1960s.

It's a matter of public order duties which includes what is generally called "riot control". These helmets were the default choice because the modern alternatives were just not available. That is to say nobody was making or marketing anything else. They remained in service until the introduction of the "Centurion" riot / public order helmet was introduced. Conversely the British Army fitted the MkIV with a detachable visor for riot control in Northern Ireland but subsequently used a green Centurion which was esssentially a modified open faced crash helmet of the type familiar to us all. The Centurion riot helmet continues in use today albeit in updated format.

Regards

Mark

many thanks gents for your help on this one ,ive learned something new today i am familiar with the NI riot turtles of the 70's so this earlier police example does make sense , ps sorry Aaron i couldnt see the referance picture
    Regards James

?

Echoing other comments, I believe they were issued to the Police as part of the Civil Defence strcuture in preparation for the nuclear threat, similar to the white 'NHSR' helmets that you sometimes see. I don't recall ever seing a picture of them in use for civil disturbance.

They used to be really common and cheap, it's nice to see one.

thanks for your thoughts on this one steve
    Regards James

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Echoing other comments, I believe they were issued to the Police as part of the Civil Defence strcuture in preparation for the nuclear threat, similar to the white 'NHSR' helmets that you sometimes see. I don't recall ever seing a picture of them in use for civil disturbance.

They used to be really common and cheap, it's nice to see one.
    You are quite right. During the service life of these helmets things were much more genteel in the UK and whenever there was any unpleasantness ("public disorder" is a much more modern term and of course such beastliness never happened in Britain ) the traditional and "appropriate" course was to wear the normal "bobby helmet" which of course offered even then in the old cork design plenty of protection. However these helmets were there if required and were superceded by proper riot helmets when things actually did get unpleasant

Now they are just quaint curios and not understood by most people!

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast