Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Police to warden helmet

Article about: Just done a bit of more reasearch 3 Women were killed in Wexford and 28 people died in the Dublin raid, and it seems that even the presidential home was hit in another raid, so i stand corre

?

Default Police to warden helmet

This green warden helmet on the left after sanding turned out to be a nice suprise.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police to warden helmet   Police to warden helmet  

?

Default Re: Police to warden helmet

It was an Irish warden helmet, but must have been an original police helmet first
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police to warden helmet  

Why would you sand it down?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Because i could just about notice the blue paint under the green and was curious

?

How about the rescue one, any pics of the inside or dates?
    Aaron

?

Is the Rescue helmet Irish, just curious I've not seen a blue one before, or a green Wardens helmet, it was a brave decision to sand it down.
    Steve.

?

Yes Lads the rescue one was for Irish use it is marked JSS 1939 and also a 68 is on it, this must be for the size. I can start a thread on it with a few photos later. I am happy now that i did sand this green one, this time i got a good outcome , i am now 100% sure that it is an original police helmet, but not sure if British or Irish police, most probably British as we call our police Garda, here in Ireland, but i have sanded another German one in the past, and it had 3 colours, the last one being white, so it it now a very nice winter cammo.

?

You learn something new everyday...to be honest I hadn't thought about it, but I didn't realise that Ireland had ARP / CD services, would these be post war or wartime.
    As you say they are most likely to be British issue repainted, but I wonder as the Police helmets were wartime issue in Britain, whether they were sold to Ireland as surplus afterwards.
    Thanks, Steve.

?

I saw a bit of a programe not long ago & it showed the bombing there & quite a few deaths. So the ARP were used/needed, there are quite a few WW2 British helmets that were used post war by the Irish army. They come up quite often on ebay.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police to warden helmet   Police to warden helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images Police to warden helmet 

?

I would say that this police helmet was issued to the Irish police during the war, and it is most probable that, they used their own soft hats more regular while on the beat, and forwarded this helmet to the civil defence, due to the lack of need, afaik only two bombing raids were carried out within the 26 counties, Dublin and Wexford, i don't have any idea on the exact casualty list, but like Aaron points out their was a number of deaths, i heard that butter wrappings were found on British prisoners of war while in German custody, and that they were made and traced to Wexford, so the Germans hit the creamery in retaliation, killing one female worker, in a village called Campile.
    Their was a much higher amount amount of casualties in the Northern raids, with people along the border lighting fires so as German pilots could know the occupied section of the Country

Just a point to note on that helmet posted by Aaron, i served in the same command areas the Southern, who use that flash on this helmet, yellow backround with a red arrow head, and it seems to be not very straight, i would say it is a poor attempt of immitation. No one would be allowed to wear the uniform with, even a badge sewn on incorrect, not to mention the area command flash being crooked
    Last edited by paddy; 11-23-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast