Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Post War Dutch?

Article about: There's nothing especially unusual about this being effectively just a repaint with a (probably) Dutch liner; the Verblifa production did not start until 1953, and before that the Dutch more

Default Re: Post War Dutch?

There's nothing especially unusual about this being effectively just a repaint with a (probably) Dutch liner; the Verblifa production did not start until 1953, and before that the Dutch more or less used whatever they could get, including British Mk2, 3 and 4 helmets. It is reasonable to suppose that the helmet might have been relined as needed through wear, but not given a new chinstrap because there was no need for one. It might have remained in service or reserve stock for many years.

Interesting helmet. Ought to keep an eye open for one of these myself. I'm rather interested in the postwar European helmets altogether. Some of them are quite difficult to find.

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Very good to know Bond, thanks for posting examples of these, I will add this note to my data base. Russ
    The British example re used by the Dutch also came with it's neck guard, which are missing from most you see.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post War Dutch?   Post War Dutch?  

Post War Dutch?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Here are a few photos of one of our Dutch CD Helemts, this one Dutch Mfr'd with the neck protection leather piece, likely used for Fire Service. We've got a couple others that are Brit MKII reworks.

Post War Dutch?

Post War Dutch?

Post War Dutch?

Greg, as you probably are already aware, these are pretty easy to come by on eBay, you just need to search for Brit MKII's as most of them are listed that way. I think I only paid $35USD for the helmet in the photos (have since added a new foam crown piece) and I think only $20-25 for or Brit re-works. They are certainly quite affordable.
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 07-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Here are a few photos of one of our Dutch CD Helemts, this one Dutch Mfr'd with the neck protection leather piece, likely used for Fire Service. We've got a couple others that are Brit MKII reworks.

Attachment 368657

Attachment 368658

Attachment 368656

Greg, as you probably are already aware, these are pretty easy to come by on eBay, you just need to search for Brit MKII's as most of them are listed that way. I think I only paid $35USD for the helmet in the photos (have since added a new foam crown piece) and I think only $20-25 for or Brit re-works. They are certainly quite affordable.
    Sadly, the links don't work.
    Regards,

Jerry

Not sure why they didn't post the first time, they showed in preview......but anyway, I re-posted and looks like they are working now!

Not sure why they didn't post the first time, they showed in preview......but anyway, I re-posted and looks like they are working now!
    Thanks, they show now. Nice lid.
    Regards,

Jerry

I'd say the helmet in the original post is a MkI* rather than a MkII. The chin strap clips are quite distinctive, as is of course the pre-war date!

Quote by Unionjack View Post
    I'd say the helmet in the original post is a MkI* rather than a MkII. The chin strap clips are quite distinctive, as is of course the pre-war date!
    Its a MK.11 helmet with MK.11 chin strap lugs, the MK.11 helmet was introduced in 1938, I can see how you can get mixed up with the MK.1 chin strap lugs and the MK.11 chin strap lugs as they both have clipped corners, here is a picture of a MK.1 chin strap lug.
    Attached Images Attached Images Post War Dutch? 

Having checked my source (which I should have done before posting instead of relying on memory!) it says MkII production commenced in late September 1938 so yes it could be a very early MkII shell.
    You're quite right about the lugs too of course, I hadn't realised there were three types introduced seperately from the shells. I had wrongly assumed the Mk1* helmet had the new lug and the MkII helmet had the other. Your picture shows the MkI lug introduced in 1937, the helmet in the first post shows the MkII lugs introduced in early 1938. The lugs I had in mind for the MkII helmet are the MkIII lugs used from February 1939.

The confusion comes from the fact that the MkII lug was introduced early '38, and the MkII shell from late September '38. This means that the MkII lug (as pictured in original post) was actually fitted to both the MkI* and the MkII helmets.

Phew! It aint arf complicated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2