MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies

Article about: Hey guys lets kick it up a notch for the new year! Here are some gems of mine with some rare covers worked in too. Feel free to add your rimless pups to this thread. Robt. Ps.....most of the

VERY nice! thanks for showing.

I saw that for sale. A very nice helmet but I hope you managed to get the price down a bit....

I have two contributions to make that I have acquired in the last few months. one spot on topic and one a slight deviation but a companion o the 1915 Brodie.

A nice early Mk I by JSD & Sons c. Dec. 1915 with removed formation markings to an unknown unit - but my hunch is the 58th Division but we'll never know for sure.

In the same period officers were purchasing helmets made by various enterprising hat and uniform makers. these were made from mild steel and often caused worse injuries that not wearing a helmet at all. They were ultimately banned by the War Department but their wear continued well into 1916 as available supplies of WD Mk I* took a while to reach personal equipment level issue with the troops versus being trench stores. This is one of the 'Portuguese' Style pressed fluted helmets that were pressed in Birmingham and sold in large numbers by famed Hatters, Henry Heath and Sons in Oxford Street london.

The Lancashire Hussars, broadly speaking, were a Yeomanry Cavalry unit of which 2 squadorns that were dismounted and assigned to VIII Corp under Gen. Hunter-Weston on the Somme and suffered heavily in the same sector as the 29th Div. the VIII Corps between Ancre and Serre suffered nearly 15,000 casualties on July 1, the worst of any formation along the Somme on July 1st.

SMP
    ?

Two more superb helmets . Thanks for posting them. Those private purchase helmets are a field of their own. So many variations seem to exist.

I don't think it's 58 Div as that would be a white castle on a black background. The castle represents "The White Tower", the central tower of the Tower of London.

Quote by William1 View Post
    I don't think it's 58 Div as that would be a white castle on a black background. The castle represents "The White Tower", the central tower of the Tower of London.
    I know that, the thing is the marking on my helmet is 95% obliterated but my baseless hunch after years of studying formation and battle patches is that it is possibly for the 58th formation signs were typically outlined in a black circle like this:

SMP
    ?

Could it be the 18th Eastern Division ?

18th (Eastern) Division - Wikipedia

Quote by SMP View Post
    Could it be the 18th Eastern Division ?

18th (Eastern) Division - Wikipedia
    That is entirely possible too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3