Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

pre WW2 British helmet chin strap

Article about: good afternoon, please see the attached photos of a chin strap that although I've had it for donkeys years I don't know if it has a specific name or purpose. I have only ever seen it used on

Default pre WW2 British helmet chin strap

good afternoon, please see the attached photos of a chin strap that although I've had it for donkeys years I don't know if it has a specific name or purpose. I have only ever seen it used on pre war (1938/9) dated Police steel helmets. The material is not the normal webbing weave but almost like a gabardine material. The metal parts are steel. Any thoughts or info?

cheers, Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture pre WW2 British helmet chin strap   pre WW2 British helmet chin strap  

SMP
    ?

Civilian version IMO. , See this great thread:
    WW2 British chin straps

?

Hi Dave,
    If the metal parts are made of steel,(magnetic) then it is an Mk2 A. chin strap. Used only on the home front, sometimes they are marked with an M or asterisk, so they wouldn't get issued to the military.

cheers guys, another one of life's little mysteries solved!

Dave

Hello everyone, I thought it would be interesting to add this complete helmet, on which this type of chin strap is mounted.
    Home Front Mk2N°2C

Regards
    Roberto