Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Private Purchase M1917 Style Helmet

Article about: Well, I went ahead and bought it. Here for you today is a Private Puchase M1917 Style Helmet. I don't know the proper name for it, so I shall refer to it as such. These helmets aren't very w

?

Default Civillian M1917 Style Helmet

Well, I went ahead and bought it. Here for you today is a Private Puchase M1917 Style Helmet. I don't know the proper name for it, so I shall refer to it as such. These helmets aren't very well documented, and what little scraps of info I know are provided by the members here, thanks gents!

It shares similarities with the M1917, such as the rim joint, which is just an overlap, but uses pins for the chinstraps similar to the MK1 helmet. Rim size wise, it is EXACTLY the same size as my camouflaged helmet which was identified as a MKII. I don't know how to measure the dome sizes to compare. There were no stamp markings to be found anywhere.

Where the top layer of green has chipped away (repaint I presume, quite old), in some areas a sand textured dark green paint appears, this seems to have been sanded off before repainting as in some areas it does not appear, and merely a grey/silverish primer appears. Below that the steel can be seen.

Here's some pictures, enjoy:

Comments and additional bits of info appreciated! If you have one of these, please share!

EDIT: Photos came out crap, will re-take them with a better camera.

EDIT 2:
    By private purchase, I meant civilian use, not for military use.

EDIT 3: Ive found references to them being used by Navy gunners on merchant ships, and that they may be from surplus M17 shells. I find the latter doubtful due to the weight difference. Ive also fund that OD versions as well as silverish gray versions exist, so mine may have been painted 3 times... Also found reference to the police using similar helmets, but painted black or dark blue.

Nitram
    Last edited by Nitram; 04-14-2012 at 03:12 PM.

?

Default Re: Private Purchase M1917 Style Helmet

Nitram,
    "Tin Hats to Composite Helmets" lists this type of helmet as M1917 Civil Defense Helmet, and describes it as a helmet specifically manufactured for CD before he US entered the war, so I don't think it is a private purchase item. It looks like it is the predecessor of the higher domed, fiber CD helmet more commonly available. The example in the book is olive green inside, white on the outside with an Auxiliary Police badge (my scanner is broken otherwise I would put the image up).

It's a nice helmet, I keep hoping to stumble across cheap
    Steve.one.

?

Default Re: Private Purchase M1917 Style Helmet

Thanks for the info! That makes two references to them being used by police. The other is halfway down this page: USA 1917

Nitram