Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

RAC Helmet

Article about: I've had the shell for this one sort of hanging around for a while, it came without a chinstrap, and the liner crosspiece was burned. Today I had a rummage in my "covers nets and straps

?

Default RAC Helmet

I've had the shell for this one sort of hanging around for a while, it came without a chinstrap, and the liner crosspiece was burned.
    Today I had a rummage in my "covers nets and straps" drawer, and fished out a net that I thought would be OK for this type.
    The chinstrap I had bought a while back, the quick release type, which I was assured was the correct one for this helmet, though I'm not sure.
    It's clearly marked 1945 though.

RAC HelmetRAC HelmetRAC HelmetRAC HelmetRAC HelmetRAC HelmetRAC HelmetRAC HelmetRAC Helmet

The pot is a nice light khaki, with no sign of an overpaint, and seems totally unmarked, at least to my eyes.
    So after my mini restoration job, she's ready to take her place amongst her "friends!"

RAC Helmet

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Best Regards,

Andy

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, the liner is marked FFL III 1952.

Default Re: RAC Helmet

Looks good! Those post war cross pads seem to deteriorate a lot faster than the wartime ones. Both my MkIV's pads have pretty much crumbled to dust.

?

I've seen lots of these Mk2 HSRAC but this is the first khaki green one, all the others i've seen are dark brown. Chin strap is correct, as is a Mk4 chin strap, even a Mk3 would'nt look out of place. The liner is a 1950's dated one?
    But it all looks good with the others.

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I've seen lots of these Mk2 HSRAC but this is the first khaki green one, all the others i've seen are dark brown. Chin strap is correct, as is a Mk4 chin strap, even a Mk3 would'nt look out of place. The liner is a 1950's dated one?
    But it all looks good with the others.
    That's odd that you've not seen one tinlid, the paint seems to be factory, and is exactly the same colour as the despatch lid I have.
    The liner is dated 1952, by FFL Mk III

Andy

nice little resto andy ,the chinstrap looks identical to my post war rac dated 1952 ,so all present and correct
    Regards James

?

The first Mk1 HSRAC were khaki green, 42 - sometime in 43/44, then dark brown. The HSDR went over to dark brown in 44, the HSAT went over to dark brown sometime in 43. So to see a Mk2 HSRAC which came out in 45 in khaki green is quite odd,but nice to see.

i dont mean to take over this thread but id like to show my example you can make out the chinstrap assemble ,i dont know what colour the shell is as i dare not remove the delicate woodland cammo cover but the liner is dated 1952 RAC HelmetRAC Helmet
    Regards James

?

Quote by col james View Post
    i dont mean to take over this thread but id like to show my example you can make out the chinstrap assemble ,i dont know what colour the shell is as i dare not remove the delicate woodland cammo cover but the liner is dated 1952 RAC HelmetRAC Helmet
    Now that's just a real nice lid James! I'd be tempted just to take a little peek at the pot colour though, I couldn't resist..............

Andy