Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Removing extraneous paint

Article about: Hello, all, new to the group. I recently rescued a late model M-1 pot from the scrap heap at a NE military base. It had apparently been used in a skit or something because it has some silver

richterrm
    ?

Default Removing extraneous paint

Hello, all, new to the group.

I recently rescued a late model M-1 pot from the scrap heap at a NE military base. It had apparently been used in a skit or something because it has some silver paint on it that was obviously applied by someone for a non-military purpose.

I know it's supposed to be coated with a chemical resistant coating, but does anyone know how to safely remove what appears to be fairly low-quality laquer or acrylic?

Is paint thinner or mineral spirits safe?

Many thanks!

Randy

Default Re: Removing extraneous paint

Quote by richterrm View Post
    Hello, all, new to the group.

I recently rescued a late model M-1 pot from the scrap heap at a NE military base. It had apparently been used in a skit or something because it has some silver paint on it that was obviously applied by someone for a non-military purpose.

I know it's supposed to be coated with a chemical resistant coating, but does anyone know how to safely remove what appears to be fairly low-quality laquer or acrylic?

Is paint thinner or mineral spirits safe?

Many thanks!

Randy

Good find by the way, and i have generally been using nail varnish remover lately ( but you got to do it small stages,or it will eat through everything)
    Good luck

?

i like to use paint stripper as its not as aggressive as nail polish remover but again be very careful & do it in small patches at a time & don't leave it on to long as soon as it starts affecting the paint either wash it of or use a plastic scrapper but never metal !!

hope this helps & good luck

richterrm
    ?

Gaz232sqn and NickD, thanks for your quick replies! I'll (carefully) try both of your suggestions. I don't have a whole lot of experience with CRC, but I do know that the stuff you WANT to stick to it doesn't, and the stuff you DON'T want to stick to it does.
    Randy

Quote by richterrm View Post
    Gaz232sqn and NickD, thanks for your quick replies! I'll (carefully) try both of your suggestions. I don't have a whole lot of experience with CRC, but I do know that the stuff you WANT to stick to it doesn't, and the stuff you DON'T want to stick to it does.
    Randy
    Your very welcome mate