Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

saved from the scrap man..ww2 British helmet shell

Article about: I was given this a while ago by a mates dad who gets scrap from time to time, he knows of my slightly mad obsessions and has gifted me old tools, bicycle frames and complete bicycles a Lambr

Default saved from the scrap man..ww2 British helmet shell

I was given this a while ago by a mates dad who gets scrap from time to time, he knows of my slightly mad obsessions and has gifted me old tools, bicycle frames and complete bicycles a Lambretta scooter and more recently this old helmet shell...I guess it's not rare and is pretty worthless but I would be interested to know it's maker and if liners etc are available as it is very sound despite it's looks and I'd like to restore it.

It looks to have been in a satin green/khaki originally , I found MKIII on the chinstrap hanger then after a bit more cleaning what looks like RO.OO NM? then 1943 with possibly the WD arrow above it any ideas who the maker was and if liners are available?

?

Default Re: saved from the scrap man..ww2 British helmet shell

Hi,
    It's RO&CO, Rubery & Owen & Co Ltd. Being 43 I expect the paint was a gritty dark brown, the NM is probably the the steel batch number. Liners are quite often for sale on ebay.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture saved from the scrap man..ww2 British helmet shell  

NCA
    ?

Nice save!
    Usually always chinstraps for these lids on ebay.Liners less so(decent ones anyway)

@tinlid:Is it possible to date lids by the paint job?What were the different ones for the war years?

?

Well the early helmets from 37- about 40-41 are painted in a semi gloss brownish colour, then round about 41ish they seem to be painted a matt gritty khaki colour then about 42 onwards most MkII's are painted a dark matt gritty brown. That's the army helmets anyway, but a 1938 dated helmet could have been brought back to stores & refurbed.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture saved from the scrap man..ww2 British helmet shell   saved from the scrap man..ww2 British helmet shell  

saved from the scrap man..ww2 British helmet shell   saved from the scrap man..ww2 British helmet shell