Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Senior fire guard helmet

Article about: A white painted Zuckerman with a black band & FG to front & back. Originally called the Civilian Protective Helmet which cost 5 shillings & sixpence but are more commonly called

?

Default Senior fire guard helmet

A white painted Zuckerman with a black band & FG to front & back. Originally called the Civilian Protective Helmet which cost 5 shillings & sixpence but are more commonly called the Zuckerman after it's inventor Solly Zuckerman.
    The fire guard had been formed as an essential factor in the defence of this Country against the attempts of the enemy to destroy it's homes & industries & to win the war by fire. ( Fire Guards handbook)
    A senior fire guard was in charge of about 75 fire guards consisting of teams of 3 with a stirrup pump, sandmats & buckets of water. In built up area's a team of 3 would cover 150 yards of street or 30 houses.
    The helmet is dated 1941 as all so far seem to be, the liner is also, although I have seen 1940 dated liners.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Senior fire guard helmet   Senior fire guard helmet  

Senior fire guard helmet   Senior fire guard helmet  

Default Re: Senior fire guard helmet

Hi Aaron, good lid. The one I used to own and all the others I have seen were, as you said, all dated 41.

Regards,

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Fire guards in action on you -tube

Fire Guard - YouTube

that is a superb timwarp example tinlid, great find

franshenker
    ?

Hi , I am hoping you can help me - I am searching for a high resolution image of the ' Solly Zuckerman Helmet ' to use in an interactive display highlighting Solly Zuckerman's achievements. Your photograph shows the helmet well and we would like to get permission to use it if possible. The display is for The South African Jewish Museum in Cape Town ( Solly Zuckerman grew up in South Africa) and highlights the outstanding achievements by South African Jews in their specific field. Please let me know if this is possible and how to proceed . Thanks Fran

A note regarding the dates - these helmets were first issued in December 1940, and helmets of that date (12/40 in various forms) do exist. I have one! It is said that some were produced in 1942 also, but I have yet to see one. The vast proportion of production was indeed in 1941.

They were sized only in Medium ( marked M) and Large (L); again the vast majority are Medium. Made by a number of different manufacturers, they are not all identical, with real variations of rim-finish (turned up, turned down, raw edge, rimmed) and the chinstrap lugs also have at least three variations. Interesting helmet, often overlooked.

Great example!......

Well said Greg often overlooked but still part of Wartime British History................Jake.

?

Hi Fran, Of course you can use the pictures, try lifting them of the forum. I will send you a private message.
    Aaron