Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Signs of a fake Brodie?

Article about: Hi all, I am relatively new to helmet collecting and I have gone with Civil Defence helmets and I am wondering is there really fake Brodies about?? I know there are lots fake German helmets

The slapdash nature of these helmets will always be both a blessing and a curse. A blessing, in that there is endless variety and no two helmets are the same. A curse, in that there are some helmets that will always look clumsily done. Personally, I'm happy with the example I posted in this thread. I suppose a scientist in a lab somewhere could probably tell me for sure how old the paint was, but I see no need. In-hand, it feels 'right' to me.

Very excited to get my hands on a copy of that book! As I'm sure are many other collectors here. Hopefully it's not too far away now...

Regards, B.B.

Well, I’m advised that carbon dating wouldn’t help...and the story about lead paint being age-specific isn’t really that helpful as lead paint could till have been used for painting restoration work....and of course it would NEVER been used on a Helmet could it???? ;-)

I’m sincerely hoping we don’t fall into the same space as a lot of TR Helmet posts...where some ol’ boy is positioned as THE source of all knowledge and he then posts “FAKE”...and everyone believes it......it comes down to personal view......and common sense.....and you’ll never get 100% of reviewers to agree...indeed you often won’t get two people to agree!!!

If you’re happy....that’s all that matters.

Sadly, if a book does come out with photos of over a thousand different Home Front Helmets you can bet your backside that there’ll be more fakes/upgrades.......sorry about that.....

Nobody is infallible. It's important that people understand that in general, and not just within the sphere of militaria collecting. There is no almighty, all-knowing person out there with all the answers. While there are no paragons of knowledge, there are those whose opinions are greatly respected. When it comes to Home Front helmets, I'd include your good self in that category. I can't imagine that is a very contentious opinion around these parts, either!

Be sure to let us all know when that book is ready to go. Even if it does spur an explosion of dodgy helmets, it'll be an invaluable read for those - such as myself - just starting to take the first steps on the collecting ladder.

Regards, B.B.

?

Carbon dating only works on material that was once living. Like the liners leather. Unless the decal was made by smearing blood, no luck with that....

My own view is that too much credence is placed on photographs when evaluating a helmet, and I have always argued that a proper assessment should be done 'in hand'. No dealer worth his salt will make you an offer on a helmet based on photographs alone, he will want to examine it before any price is negotiated.

....agreed.....but a lot of us silly B*****s will buy stuff based on a photograph :-)

Quote by Composite View Post
    ....agreed.....but a lot of us silly B*****s will buy stuff based on a photograph :-)
    But the more astute buyers amongst us will ask for a money-back guarantee...

Thanks you all and yes I will certainly get myself a copy of that book.
    Why do you think there will be a rise in fakes/ upgrades with the release of the book Composite, surely fakers could find plenty of images online?

If I am ever unsure about a helmets legitimacy I will be sure to post pics on here,
    Many Thanks,
    Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2