Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SOUTH AFRICAN MkII

Article about: Hi All, This SA MkII has been repainted over the original sand colour with this mid war brown. So could have been used in Italy or somewhere in the Med', or possibly been used post war by nu

?

Default SOUTH AFRICAN MkII

Hi All,
    This SA MkII has been repainted over the original sand colour with this mid war brown. So could have been used in Italy or somewhere in the Med', or possibly been used post war by numerous countries in the 50's or 60's.
    The liner is not the SA made Rand liner but a British made one by VERO dated 1944.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SOUTH AFRICAN MkII   SOUTH AFRICAN MkII  

SOUTH AFRICAN MkII   SOUTH AFRICAN MkII  

SOUTH AFRICAN MkII   SOUTH AFRICAN MkII  

SOUTH AFRICAN MkII  

?

Default Re: SOUTH AFRICAN MkII

Nice helmet.
    I wonder what the holes in the rim are for ?
    SteveR

?

Hi Steve,
    The holes in the rear of the helmet are for a canvas neckguard which were never used. Or at present there is no pictorial evidence to prove that they were used.
    Aaron

The liner on my south African helmet is also British FFL dated 1943.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SOUTH AFRICAN MkII  
    Attached Images Attached Images SOUTH AFRICAN MkII 

?

Internet, not mine

Piotrek

?

Hi Piotrek,
    yes I know about that one, I think it was found in Southampton. On another forum someone contacted the SA military museum & they sent loads of info back & said they were issued without the neck flaps.
    But that being said I have seen video's of some British gunners out in the far east with neck flaps on, whether like your photo they made them up off there own backs or not I don't know. If they were issued there would be far more photo's of them being used & there is not.
    Aaron

I dont think the neck flaps were issued. I too have seen footage of British and Australian troops wearing neck flaps. I assumed they were just a square of old shirt cloth placed on the head and left to drape down the back of the neck with the helmet worn on top to keep the cloth in place.

?

I think you are right, which is a shame as it would have been nice to have had one.
    Aaron