Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

St. Clair helmet liner

Article about: I want to buy the 2 helmet liner. The guy wants \\$190 for both of them. Also do you know the paint on the front? The guy im buying them said someone thought the helmets were trimmed down alon

Default St. Clair helmet liner

I want to buy the 2 helmet liner. The guy wants $190 for both of them. Also do you know the paint on the front? The guy im buying them said someone thought the helmets were trimmed down along the sides and the back. I did find out they are helmet liners but I thought they were kid's since I got them in a box of toys.
    Attached Images Attached Images St. Clair helmet liner  St. Clair helmet liner  St. Clair helmet liner 

?

Default Re: St. Clair helmet liner

they don't look like the toy version to me but they seem to have been used as toys with that paint job & the fact they've been trimmed down around the edge to make them smaller for kids to wear. st. Clair liners are very sort after & worth alot of money in good condition but as for these i personally wouldn't touch them but that's just me.

Hi

Interesting liners, these appear to be toy or work helmets, when St Clair made imperfect liners,with the permission of the Chicago Quatermasters depot, they were trimmed down and put on the civilian market.

These appear to very similiar to examples, appearing in Mark A Reynosas book -The M1 Helmet,even down to the Yellow Eagle insignia stenciled onto the front of the liners.

These could be the real thing ,or inspired from the book,either way they are rare,............ hence the price.

I would'nt like to give a judgement on the price though,could be right...could be well over priced.

I'm not sure, but have St. Clair liners been produced with triangle washers?

I think they had no triangle washers.

The painting is, as gaz wrote same as on page 108 of M. Reynosas book.

Quote by merluzza View Post
    I'm not sure, but have St. Clair liners been produced with triangle washers?

I think they had no triangle washers.

The painting is, as gaz wrote same as on page 108 of M. Reynosas book.
    Hi Merluzza.

That's what i thought too, but they did use triangle A washers after Setember 1942, check page 39,from the same book.

Also with snaps on the headband too.

Cheers Mate.

where are my glasses - you are right

Quote by merluzza View Post
    where are my glasses - you are right
    No worries mate

I had to check this out myself, as I was'nt too sure either.

This book is the best investment, I've made recently

?

The stenciled eagle on the front and the cut down sides are indicative of those liners turned into toys during the war. I vote: Toy

POWgranson
    ?

Hey all... found this website while sourcing information on my M1 helmet... and seeing your conversation on SC liners... I wanted to join and let you all see what I have... as it is in quite good condition... and you all will have valuable insight onto this rare peice of world history...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St. Clair helmet liner   St. Clair helmet liner  

St. Clair helmet liner   St. Clair helmet liner  

As mentioned, these are the "Childrens" liners, or those sent on the civvy side for whatever reasons. The cut down rims, Golden Eagles were done at the factory when the liner was either failed for QC reasons, or I've also heard that St Clair did this to all the liners they had in hand when their low pressure liner was ditched in favor of the high pressures. Not sure how true that is, but makes sense. Honestly, $190 for the pair isn't a bad price at all! I paid more for mine thinking it was a "real" liner, before I knew about these..

EDIT...................................
    Dang, talk about answering a necro-post!