Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

St John's ambulance brigade

Article about: Not all of these St Johns Amb' are from Ireland I'm sure, once we have the pics hopefully might be able to tell. j.S.S. produced helmets from 38-41. Aaron

?

Default Re: St John's ambulance brigade

Ade,

It's possible that it may have been in use during WW2. Ireland was neutral at the time and over here this period was referred to as "The Emergency". Bombs did fall here the very odd occasion (there were several theories here as to why, pilots thinking Dublin was Liverpool and on one occasion even the attempt to hit a Dublin Fire Station in retaliation for fire tenders from the south going up north to help in the Belfast raids) Fact or fiction, who knows? Maybe ambulance crews here were issued with them as "PPE"

I am unsure of the actual date of use of these in the Republic? At the moment, collectors are thinking the paintwork and decals are postwar. They could well be from the 1950's.

I think it would be nice to do some more research into these. It would be worth dropping a line to the Irish branch.

My Grandad served in the St John's during WW2 in Nottinghamshire.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Yes,

Waiting for the St John here to get back to me. Have been trawling all day and not come across a single picture of anyone wearing one.

Will let you all know if I come up with anything interesting. If you hear anything else please pass it on.

Thanks.

SMP
    ?

Here's another British St John's helmet. Note the British badge carries the lion and the unicorn. The Irish badges do not. I don't know if the Irish helmets were used during the war, but it might be worth snapping some up while they are still plentiful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St John's ambulance brigade  

Thanks Steve
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Just had a busy day on the internet (I know it's not the be and end all but it was a start) Boggle eyed looking for any sign of a helmet like this.

All I have found in white is the one Paddy had and one other. I have seen black ones and read about a white one with black stripes. Starting to think they are like hens teeth.

Can anyone advise me. Suggest any other places to look.

SJAB Ireland are still to get back to me.

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3