Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?

Article about: Another Malta camo which is up to £239, some bits seem ok,( like the stacking mark) But the majority of it I don't like, rusty original green/brown paint with no paint on the rim, while the

Quote by Shadwellarmy View Post
    Was it the same seller?
    Looking at the almost identical odd "spider" like striations on the areas of sand paint on both helmets I would bet it is....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I can't remember if it was the same seller on those two, but this one is from the second Malta camo (note same table)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?   Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?  

Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?  

?

reg20311 is the seller of this fake,note the yellowish staining on the white, quite a common practice from these fakers.
    It sold for £313.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?   Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?  

Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?   Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?  

I saw both of these on the bay and was suspicious, I noticed the "chip" under the decal to the helmets paint work on the top one of the two and thought "oh no, someone's getting stung!" Some very suspicious helmets are appearing at the moment sadly. Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake? 

?

The seller of the Malta helmet always has an assortment of interesting lids for sale and more often than not he gets a very good price for them.

Tony

?

Reg20311 has got another one for you, S.A. Mk2. Chin strap looks to be the post war Israeli one.

Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?   Thoughts on this helmet, real or fake?  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Reg20311 has got another one for you, S.A. Mk2. Chin strap looks to be the post war Israeli one.
    I notice that looking at this sellers feedback, the "items" that you can see sold are 95% high end cammo or unit marked helmets??? Most of his sold items you cannot view however as they are "hidden". He either has an unparalleled source of great lids or has mastered the faking process. Leon.

?

Morning all I have been following this thread for some time now with great interest and have been studying some of the camo and flashed examples that he has sold in the past some of which I have seen posted on other forums and have commented on more than one of these so called period camos and I am also of the opinion they are contrived there are a few tells when comparing the helmets he has been selling as period camos to known originals .
    Some of which have been pointed out by Aaron and Ned in this particular thread they are rather good and would make good display pieces but they are not original period applied camos and or flashed examples.
    This is only my humble opinion but I would not purchase one of the helmets he has been listing for my own personal collection.

Regards Mark

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Morning all I have been following this thread for some time now with great interest and have been studying some of the camo and flashed examples that he has sold in the past some of which I have seen posted on other forums and have commented on more than one of these so called period camos and I am also of the opinion they are contrived there are a few tells when comparing the helmets he has been selling as period camos to known originals .
    Some of which have been pointed out by Aaron and Ned in this particular thread they are rather good and would make good display pieces but they are not original period applied camos and or flashed examples.
    This is only my humble opinion but I would not purchase one of the helmets he has been listing for my own personal collection.

Regards Mark
    I humbly and simply agree Mark! I personally apply the same standards of appraisal to these MKII's as I would an M35/40/42. The same traits of fake aging and later decal/insignia application apply, and these MkII's show those small "tell tales" of being "altered" such as the new red rust, more wear around the decal/insignia area's and in some cases, original wear/chipping underneath the newly applied cammo or decal. Leon.

Quote by James C View Post
    the lengths people go to make a few quid ,id of never thought of them being faked ,you live and learn
    The problem James is that Brit lids, especially camo's fetch hundreds of £'s, whilst not camo lids mostly fetch £50 + or -

Expect to see more of these, also flashed lids and uncommon home front lids as well.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast