Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

THoughts of USMC helmet

Article about: Hi guys, Can you please let me know what you think of this USMC helmet cover? It looks ww2 period to me but I would appreciate to hear your comments. Cheers Alex

?

Default THoughts of USMC helmet

Hi guys,

Can you please let me know what you think of this USMC helmet cover? It looks ww2 period to me but I would appreciate to hear your comments.

Cheers
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture THoughts of USMC helmet   THoughts of USMC helmet  

THoughts of USMC helmet   THoughts of USMC helmet  

THoughts of USMC helmet  

?

Default Re: THoughts of USMC helmet

Looks good from the photos, I see no red flags, a picture of the beach side seam stitching would help.
    Regards,
    John

?

a picture of the beach side seam stitching would help.

I forgot that picture, here you go
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture THoughts of USMC helmet  

?

looks like a good 2nd pattern cover to me

?

Quote by ackb View Post
    I forgot that picture, here you go
    That is edge stitching, I was referring to the double row chain stitching at the center seam where the half are joined... At any, rate it looks good.
    Regards,
    John

?

Ahh Okay, that picture I can't provide. I don't have the helmet in hand yet. I thought it was enough to look at the stitching along the edge to conclude whether the cover is ww2 period or Korea

To the best of my knowledge, 2nd pattern covers (with the slits cut into them for camo) were first used in 1945... Iwo Jima and Okinawa campaign to be specific.

IF your cover is authentic (which it looks like it is...), the lack of a Eagle, Globe and Anchor ink stamp is a good sign that it was ONLY used in WWII and not reissued for Korea or later (ink stamps were added post WWII)

Here is my USMC lid:
    THoughts of USMC helmetTHoughts of USMC helmetTHoughts of USMC helmetTHoughts of USMC helmetTHoughts of USMC helmetTHoughts of USMC helmetTHoughts of USMC helmetTHoughts of USMC helmetTHoughts of USMC helmet

?

Quote by ackb View Post
    Ahh Okay, that picture I can't provide. I don't have the helmet in hand yet. I thought it was enough to look at the stitching along the edge to conclude whether the cover is ww2 period or Korea
    looks WW2 to me i cant see no EGA stamp of any kind see below for whats normally stamped on 1950's USMC covers as well as EGA stamps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture THoughts of USMC helmet