Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

In Tribute to my Uncle Joe the B17 Gunners headgear

Article about: Hello Gent's First off after seeing some of your great collections posted, I feel like I'm walking into Fort Knox bragging about a nuggets I have. Here is my humble addition. My Uncle flew w

?

That was awesome to see those honoring him!!! I think i got something in my eyes. ITS DUSTY HERE IN THE DESERT!!!!!
    That made that Vet's day!!! He was sporting a CBI (China Burma India) patch. My Aunt served there, That will be another thread!!!
    I wish I could fit in my old uniform.
    SF
    Phil

?

Wonderful historical and personal thread Phil , well done !!

MAP
    ?

Phil,

My late uncle was a crew chief from 1943 to 1945. Supposedly at Ipswich Airfield servicing B-17. I never new until he passed. While I knew he was a vet he just wouldn't talk about it. After he passed my Aunt sit that even though he was not a front line troop, he refused to discuss anything in that he would see the planes take off and then never return....

I wonder what airfield your uncle was at?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Mike,
    My uncle would never talk about his experiences either. After speaking with Phil the left waist gunner who told be how the B17 was on fire after the strafing. The copilot, top turret gunner, radioman and ball turret gunner were all killed. Phil was hit with the shrapnel from the 20mm that hit the ball turret. Phil said he heard my uncle yell it was time to go. He looked at him then looked forward and saw the radioman laying on the floor. He turned around and the right waist gunner was having trouble putting on his chute. Phil then saw my uncle open the rear escape hatch and Phil tried to reach for the handle for the rear door with his right hand but could not do it because of the wounds on this right arm from the shrapnel, so just before his left hand touched the handle the plane exploded. In the MACR(Missing Air Crew Report) for that flight they all say how they were blown out of the B17. Phil said he woke up with air rushing by him then past out again. The next time he woke up his chute was opened. He said my guardian angel was with me that day. The crew landed in a field near the town of Schelierbach were some German soldiers were on furlough. But Phil hit the roof of a barn and broke his jaw and ankle. When they got Phil down they were marched to a nearby railroad and sent to Frankfurt to Oberursel dulag luft. Phil said that they were the lucky ones because when the got to Frankfurt there were airmen hanging from the street lights. After Phil told me all this I knew why my Uncle never talked about what happened during his service.

My Uncle was at Station 106 in Grafton Underwood.UK

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Although oft said and usually with little real conviction...shall I just say:

Lest we forget....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dear Phil,

It's a very noble attitude of yours to commemorate your uncle and his comrades. It makes sad to read your post about their shot down.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

?

Nice one Phill Well Done Mate.

Greg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3