Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Unexpected Find

Article about: Hi there Just wanted to show a really unexpected find for me through evilbay. A BRITISH Dispatch Rider steel helmet made by BMB (Briggs Motor Bodies) size 6 and dated 1949! The interesting b

Thumbs up Unexpected Find

Hi there

Just wanted to show a really unexpected find for me through evilbay. A BRITISH Dispatch Rider steel helmet made by BMB (Briggs Motor Bodies) size 6 and dated 1949! The interesting bit is the insignias painted on the outside, a Royal Corps of Signals Flash on one side and the usual Gibraltar Garrison Flash consisting of a Yellow key on a Red background. I never thought I would find a clearly identifiable "Gibraltar Helmet " and even though its not WW2 I am still over the moon with it considering I am from the Rock of Gibraltar. The overall paint job and the coloured stripes on the centre leads me to believe it has probably been done up for a parade. It has seen its fair amount of use as the leather chinstrap has an old repair.

Comments please.

Unexpected FindUnexpected FindUnexpected FindUnexpected FindUnexpected FindUnexpected Find

?

Default Re: Unexpected Find

I saw this one on ebay & worked out it was signals & Gibralta garrison. Did'nt realise it was a post war HSDR but thought the markings might have been post war, I'm really glad you got this helmet as you are from Gib'.
    Aaron

?

Nice find, eBay does have some nice goodies now and again Rather interesting shade of green.

Nitram

Great find tankfreak, I love going to Gibraltar massive amounts of military history all around but I could not find any militaria the last time I visited hopefully next time.

Quote by joseph barrett View Post
    Great find tankfreak, I love going to Gibraltar massive amounts of military history all around but I could not find any militaria the last time I visited hopefully next time.
    I am afraid you would not find any militaria the next time you visit the Rock. There are very few collectors here,the antiques dealers may have something from time to time but they will definately be over priced. The last of the old MOD surplus was disposed/destroyed about twenty years ago. I managed to get hold of an amount of 37 pattern webbing back then but the rest was simply cut up in their boxes with a band saw! It was a sight to behold, a mound of 37 pattern webbing, all unblancoed , most unissued,a mixture of wartime and 50s dates lying there on a workshop floor ready to be cut up. Apart from that there were unopened boxes lying about. I also heard that the uniforms been burnt at another location in the Naval Base!
    I used to have an advert for military collectables for some months and nothing turned up, in fact I had requests from people wanting to buy some.

Anyway you will still find loads of military fortifications here. Give me a shout next time you come, I will be glad to meet up.

thanks

Ian

That's criminal destroying all that equipment it really doesn't make any sense. I don't know when I will get there again but hopefully soon.