Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown MkIII helmet

Article about: Hi Guys, This is my first post here. I've got a British looking helmet that is driving me crazy .... I've spent several hours on-line and at the library trying to identify it! I hope someone

Gat408
    ?

Default Unknown MkIII helmet

Hi Guys,
    This is my first post here.
    I've got a British looking helmet that is driving me crazy .... I've spent several hours on-line and at the library trying to identify it! I hope someone here can help me.
    The helmet is grey/black with a sandy texture. It has all the inards of a British MkII, however, both chinstrap lugs are stamped MkIII 1943, but it is not a turtle helmet. One of the cradle arms is marked
    7&1/2. I have looked at every square inch of the helmet under a strong magnifying glass, but can find no other markings. The only thing that i can imagine is that if it was lightly stamped, that the textured paint is covering any markings. Also, it does not have a strong magnetic attraction
    Can't get pics to upload.
    Thanks for any help given.
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown MkIII helmet 
    Last edited by Gat408; 12-22-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Pics

Default Re: Unknown MkIII helmet

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Please try again with your pics. They may be too large, so try them one at a time.

Cheers, Ade.

Gat408
    ?

Pics added
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown MkIII helmet   Unknown MkIII helmet  

Unknown MkIII helmet   Unknown MkIII helmet  

Unknown MkIII helmet  

It is a MKII but it will take the MKIII chinstrap.

INGLÉS MK2

Cheers, Ade.

Is there a makers stamp on the liner? The shell stamps should be by one of the chinstrap lugs, so just scan that area good. If you can find makers stamps anywhere it would answer all your questions. As far as I know, I have seen the Mk.III lugs marked on Aussie/ANZAC Mk.II's.

Gat408
    ?

You guys were a great help! Using a jewelers loop, I found a very lightly stamped "1942" just to the right of one of the chinstrap lugs. I still haven't found a manufacturers stamp, but I'd probably have to scrape some paint to do so.
    Also, I found a New Zealand auction sight that has one for sale .... color ect. all matches perfectly!
    Thanks Again.
    Chris