Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unknown WW2 Helmet

Article about: by Ben Evans We used to have to tie strips of sandbag to ours for cam and to break up the outline of the helmet, it looked like a sandbag wig, only problem is for a laugh the lads used to li

?

Default Re: Unknown WW2 Helmet

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    We used to have to tie strips of sandbag to ours for cam and to break up the outline of the helmet, it looked like a sandbag wig, only problem is for a laugh the lads used to light the rear of it whilst on parade (if wearing them) and you would end up with a hot flaming mass on your head lol
    I am shocked that members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces would behave in such a fashion!

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 02-05-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Just for the sake of properly answering the original query, the helmet is indeed a British Mk4, which came into service right at the end of WW2 and continued on in either as original or with a different liner system as the Mk5) until the 1980s. More information can be found at, for example, .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark IV :. or INGLS MK4

In my experience not all - few rather than many - Mk3/4/5 shells have makers marks, though the liners are always marked and dated. Of course the liner may not be original to the shell, having been changed at some time, so can;t be taken as proof of any dating of the shell/liner combo.

If you had a Mk 3 helmet, which is similar except for the somewhat higher position of the side rivets for the chinstrap lugs and with a nut&bolt-held rather than lift-the-dot (pull out) liner, it would be almost certainly WW2 issue and use.

?

Horrible helmets, I was first issued one when I first joined up lol not very comfy or practical!

Couldn't agree with you more Ben, I used to f*cking hate the thing.
    As a Radio Operator, the only way it could be worn when man-packing a RT set was to put it on back to front, because whenever you went to ground it, (the helmet), was tipped forward over the eyes by either the RT manpack frame or any rucksack/bergan being worn.
    I never wore it if I could get away with it..........like a lot of us!
    Personal opinion only, the only good thing about it was showing recruits the dangers of the mis-use of pyrotechnics. (Great fun watching their faces at the end result of a thunderflash under a steel helmet!)

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Just for the sake of properly answering the original query, the helmet is indeed a British Mk4, which came into service right at the end of WW2 and continued on in either as original or with a different liner system as the Mk5) until the 1980s. More information can be found at, for example, .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark IV :. or INGLS MK4

In my experience not all - few rather than many - Mk3/4/5 shells have makers marks, though the liners are always marked and dated. Of course the liner may not be original to the shell, having been changed at some time, so can;t be taken as proof of any dating of the shell/liner combo.

If you had a Mk 3 helmet, which is similar except for the somewhat higher position of the side rivets for the chinstrap lugs and with a nut&bolt-held rather than lift-the-dot (pull out) liner, it would be almost certainly WW2 issue and use.

No disrespect meant Greg, but that's slightly off the mark mate.
    The original Turtle Back was issued to British and Canadian troops for D-Day, (there is photographic proof widely available of this), and saw service slightly prior to then and up until the mid/late 1980's in various guises.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

I was quite lucky as my first posting was No 2 Sqn RAF Regiment, this was our para unit so I was issued with a steel para helmet, very heavy but better than the tin lid in comfort and practicality, we then got issued the kevlar para helmets in 1984.
    Ben

I was quite lucky as my first posting was No 2 Sqn RAF Regiment, this was our para unit so I was issued with a steel para helmet, very heavy but better than the tin lid in comfort and practicality, we then got issued the kevlar para helmets in 1984.
    Were they kevlar Ben or fibreglass? I have had a few of those para lids (if I'm thinking of the same one) and I always thought they were fibreglass with a high density polystyrene interior, a bit like a motorbike helmet. Very light compared to other pots.

Probably fibre glass in the early 80's
    Ben

I think the new helmts came in mid 80's, 1 sqn RAF Regiment did trials on the then new SA80 and combat 95 field gear, it was prior to 1987 as I was posted there then and they had the gear at that time
    Ben

Some confusion here. I am quite aware that the original Mk3 was indeed issued during 1944 - as I said in my first posting -

"If you had a Mk 3 helmet, which is similar except for the somewhat higher position of the side rivets for the chinstrap lugs and with a nut&bolt-held rather than lift-the-dot (pull out) liner, it would be almost certainly WW2 issue and use."

The helmet shown by the initial poster is *not* a Mk3, it is a Mark 4, and unlikely to have been used on active service in WW2. Except perhaps in 1945 and then not much.

Amazing how much controversy discussing old ex-army junk can generate!

Alright. I did some closer inspection and I noticed a very faded date at one of the points on the inside. I saw what I could faintly make out as a 1 but i didn't find anything by it until I saw an outline of what I think is a 5. Tried to get pictures but none turned clear. So, would that be possible to assume it's 1945? Or is that still inconclusive?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast