Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unknown WW2 Helmet

Article about: by Ben Evans We used to have to tie strips of sandbag to ours for cam and to break up the outline of the helmet, it looked like a sandbag wig, only problem is for a laugh the lads used to li

?

Default Re: Unknown WW2 Helmet

Looking at the helmet I would say it was produced in the 50's, black paint, Mk4 liner. Or it was made in 45 but has been stripped of the textured brown paint, repainted black then over painted olive drab, both typical of the 50's, & the later Mk4 liner put in.
    Here's some pics of the dates on the liner & the helmet shell that you are looking for.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown WW2 Helmet   Unknown WW2 Helmet  

Unknown WW2 Helmet   Unknown WW2 Helmet  

Unknown WW2 Helmet  

?

Unhappy Re: Unknown WW2 Helmet

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Probably fibre glass in the early 80's
    They weren't fiber glass, it was a nylon fiber, similar to Kevlar (but probably not as good knowing the MOD). I was lucky enough to go the factory where they made them in Coventry and saw them do some impact testing on them. No free samples though , eveyhting was numbered becuase it was government contract and it was early on.

Can agree more about the MkIV / MkV absolutley awful, the crowning glory was the elastic strap that let it bounce up an down on head when you were running.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Looking at the helmet I would say it was produced in the 50's, black paint, Mk4 liner. Or it was made in 45 but has been stripped of the textured brown paint, repainted black then over painted olive drab, both typical of the 50's, & the later Mk4 liner put in.
    Here's some pics of the dates on the liner & the helmet shell that you are looking for.
    Thanks man. That helped a lot. The date was mostly faded and I could only make out 1--and a slight 5. I looked at the liner date and it was 52 meaning replaced to me. I'm gonna try to restore it to what it originally would've looked like since it's got a lot of running paint marks on both inside and out.

?

Quote by Bl00dSniper266 View Post
    Thanks man. That helped a lot. The date was mostly faded and I could only make out 1--and a slight 5. I looked at the liner date and it was 52 meaning replaced to me. I'm gonna try to restore it to what it originally would've looked like since it's got a lot of running paint marks on both inside and out.
    Could be fun restoring it, bear in mind though that these things are so cheap it might be worth waiting for one to come along that is just the way you want it.

Best Regards,

Andy

All I really want in my collection is one item from each side. I have 5 American items, 2 German items, 1 Italian, and now 1 British. All I need is a Japanese item now. The only thing I don't know is the proper color to paint it. I know it came in od green, but also brown. Which is best to go with?

?

Quote by Bl00dSniper266 View Post
    All I really want in my collection is one item from each side. I have 5 American items, 2 German items, 1 Italian, and now 1 British. All I need is a Japanese item now. The only thing I don't know is the proper color to paint it. I know it came in od green, but also brown. Which is best to go with?
    The brown would be best for WW2. Have a look at this one:

Unknown WW2 Helmet

Bear in mind though, this one is a MK3, yours is a MK4, which are more commonly green or even black.

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown WW2 Helmet  

Great idea. I've done 3 other helmets in od green so it would be a change. Thanks for the help and the ideas.

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    We used to have to tie strips of sandbag to ours for cam and to break up the outline of the helmet, it looked like a sandbag wig, only problem is for a laugh the lads used to light the rear of it whilst on parade (if wearing them) and you would end up with a hot flaming mass on your head lol
    ben does this bring back memories my scrimmed up mK5 i can see why it might be classed as a fire hazzard Unknown WW2 HelmetUnknown WW2 Helmet
    Regards James

?

Now there's an idea sniper, leave it as it is, just scrim the t*ts off it, nobody would ever know what colour or mark it is!

Andy

Lol. Nah. I'd prefer it to be correct to it's time. I'm a major ww2 guy and it would kill me to do that to a period helmet. I only wish I could've found it before somebody went and screwed it up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast