Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet

Article about: British Mk 2 No.2 (identified by the three drilled holes on the brim) helmets were effectively rejects or of inferior quality to be used by front-line troops and can be found in a variety of

Default Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet

British Mk 2 No.2 (identified by the three drilled holes on the brim) helmets were effectively rejects or of inferior quality to be used by front-line troops and can be found in a variety of colours and markings as they were used for civil defence. The plain coloured ones that I have seen usually tend to be either black or a grey blue colour, however, this helmet is a 'desert yellow' colour almost reminiscent of North Africa or Italy! Anybody have any ideas why it's this colour? (The pictures make it look a little green, in the 'flesh' it is noticeably yellow)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet   Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet  

Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet   Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet  

Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet 

?

Default Re: Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet

To me it looks like a nice No.2C home guard helmet, normally you would expect a No.2C to be grey but by 1941 I think they had got themselves organised & the home guard did'nt need to have the higher quality MkII's. So that's why it is painted the same as an army MkII khaki matt textured outside & smooth khaki inside. I think the colour has dissipated over the years giving it that sandy colour.
    I think it's a really nice helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet   Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet  

Default Re: Unusual colour Mk2 No.2 British helmet

Thank you Tinlid - I knew you'd know the answer!