Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual tin hat

Article about: Hi, I have this helmet that appears to be ww2 British. Obviously the liner is not original, looks like it has been added by a renactor for comfort. I dont recognise the chin strap however an

Default Unusual tin hat

Hi, I have this helmet that appears to be ww2 British. Obviously the liner is not original, looks like it has been added by a renactor for comfort. I dont recognise the chin strap however and also there is no hole in the top to screw the liner in place, nor is there any evidence that there ever was one. Any comments are appreciated, thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual tin hat   Unusual tin hat  

Unusual tin hat   Unusual tin hat  

?

Default Re: Unusual tin hat

You have a lovely rare British WW2 helmet which was produced for the ARP services belonging to factories.
    These helmets were cheaply made with no liner just sorbo, also the chin straps were just rivited to the helmet. I think large factories had there own firemen/ firewatchers first aid & the like & so these cheap helmets would have been ideal as to the more expensive MkII helmets.
    Although quite rare they don't fetch that much money as most people don't know what they are, whatever you do don't take out the liner
    Nice lid
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual tin hat   Unusual tin hat  

Unusual tin hat  

NCA
    ?

Thumbs up Re: Unusual tin hat

Oh gawd!Another one to find for the collection....
    Aaron, my (tin) hat is off to your knowledge on all things helmety!

?

Thanks NCA, have you this one as well, private purchase I believe the firm went bust in 1939 though.
    Notice the strap is the same as the first helmet shown.
    Aaron

Woww, thank you very much for your diagnosis. If you hadnt told me I would have ripped that liner out as I thought it was a repro! Once again thank you so much. Have you any idea on value?

Cheers

?

A dealer if he knew what it was would probably have it for sale for £45-£65, on ebay if it slipped everyone bye £20, just depends who sees it really.
    Aaron

NCA
    ?

Aaron,No i havent seen that type before either..I do fear i may have passed them by at fairs and sales ect.!.
    Nice lid by the way Spitace41.Thanks for showing.And to think you came so close to taking the liner out.

?

looks like an Industrial safety helmet i had

Quote by NCA View Post
    Aaron,No i havent seen that type before either..I do fear i may have passed them by at fairs and sales ect.
    Nice lid by the way Spitace41.Thanks for showing.And to think you came so close to taking the liner out.
    I know! I kid you not I was literally going to do it tonight on the hunt for markings! Just at the last moment I thought na i'll try it on warrelics. Thank god I did.

Spitace41 If you decide to sell it let me know.