Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?

Article about: Hi all, This helmet was amongst a number I received this week. It has two stars either side of the W, and I was wondering what these were for, or if this is common? The liner is stamped also

Default Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?

Hi all,

This helmet was amongst a number I received this week. It has two stars either side of the W, and I was wondering what these were for, or if this is common? The liner is stamped also with the manufacturers stamp, and is also dated 1939. The liner retaining pin looks quite an unusual design.

Many thanks

Paul Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?

Hi, that is a nice and unusual Wardens helmet. I have seen others with diamonds on them that denote the Wardens rank but I have not seen stars before. Other more informed chaps are here who will know more than me on this one. Leon

?

Hi Paul, Without doubt the white W & stars have been on there since the war, although very non official.
    But that's what good about home front helmets, if the markings are original to the helmet whether official or not then it's all ok.
    Diamonds were the early rank markings, followed by black stripes, so I don't think your stars are rank, just to be seen & take notice of, I'm pretty sure.
    The nut & bolt is not a problem, it's just up the wrong way, quite often seen.

Possibly so someone would notice him in a dark street of London in the night when a light goes on and he shouts "put that light out "
    Attached Images Attached Images Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank? 

?

Never seen stars on a home front helmet, but it looks completley original, a great helmet in fanatstic conditon.

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Never seen stars on a home front helmet, but it looks completley original, a great helmet in fanatstic conditon.
    Here's another one:

Un-usual WW2 Air Raid Wardens Helmet With White Rank Stars | WW2 Militaria | World War Wonders

I remember hearing somewhere that a head warden/post warden's helmet would have an insignia of three chevrons, often below a star. Perhaps there is a link there?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

The helmet on the link is where you would expect the diamonds or in this case stars to be for rank.
    Above the W, or R for rescue & so on, & also on white painted helmets which were for officers. So this must be a paint scheme from early in the war that never got changed.
    Thanks for showing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?   Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?  

Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?   Unusual wardens helmet with stars - rank?  

That's a beauty.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Here's another one:

Un-usual WW2 Air Raid Wardens Helmet With White Rank Stars | WW2 Militaria | World War Wonders

I remember hearing somewhere that a head warden/post warden's helmet would have an insignia of three chevrons, often below a star. Perhaps there is a link there?
    ...should I re-phrase "I've only ever seen two"....have to be early rank markings, The chevrons were length of service, there were other rank insignia on the sleeve, horizontal bars, with a diamond over them, but that may have just been London.

?

I've never seen stars as rank markings before, not in the hand or any pictures. So I'm really grateful to you for showing, if like diamonds & stripes, I would say it's an divisional or district warden.
    Again it proves what a valuable melting pot of information is gained on this forum & others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast