Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US AAF flak Helmets

Article about: Hello Guy's, I know some of you here have been collecting Flak helmets. I have since become interested in getting one to add to my collection of AAF gear and wondering what is a fair price f

?

Default US AAF flak Helmets

Hello Guy's,
    I know some of you here have been collecting Flak helmets. I have since become interested in getting one to add to my collection of AAF gear and wondering what is a fair price for one. So What say ye, What should one pay to get one?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Default Re: US AAF flak Helmets

It depends on the model and the condition, I paid 200$ for my m5 that is in mint condition. I would say you might spend 150-200 to get a m3 or m5 in good shape. I have a source for more m5s but I think the m3 is more desirable since it is an earlier model. Ill keep an eye out for you and Im working on getting you those USMC pics and AAF book soon, I have not forgot

This one is in good shape I would buy it if I had the money to spend... I think that 150-200 would be reasonable for it, maybe a little higher. Its at 43 now so 50$ would be even better
    I have seen a few similar hit around the 300$ mark though...

A friend has a few m5s in fair shape for around 150 if you are interested. Its been a while since I have seen them so I do not remember their exact condition, but I can get pictures.
    Last edited by AmericanKraut; 01-31-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Removing a m3 helmet

?

Hello Ben,
    Yeah, that was the one I was looking at..

What model would have been worn during the 43-44 time frame?

Thanks
    Semper Fi
    Phil

WWII Uniforms - Headgear / Oxygen Masks / Boots
    This site is full of good for information on all bomber crew gear, but I do not think that it covers the flak helmets well.
    I would say to be safe the m3 flak helmet would be the best for the 43-44 time period.

?

Thanks Ben!!!!!

?

The M3, M5, and M4A2 are fairly easy to find on ebay, and the last two especially can be found in unissued condition. The M3 is harder to find with no rust and its earflap pads intact.

BUT, don't forget about the rare flak helmets:

M4 made by Wilkinson Sword in Britain

US AAF flak Helmets

M4 made in USA

US AAF flak Helmets

And the mysterious H-28-CL

US AAF flak Helmets

US AAF flak Helmets

US AAF flak Helmets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US AAF flak Helmets  

?

Thumbs up Re: US AAF flak Helmets

Outstanding Pic's! Those look great.
    Thank you gitana
    Do you happen to know what years the M4 was used?

[QUOTE=gitana;790760]The M3, M5, and M4A2 are fairly easy to find on ebay, and the last two especially can be found in unissued condition. The M3 is harder to find with no rust and its earflap pads intact.

BUT, don't forget about the rare flak helmets

Thanks for posting ive never seen a h-28-cl before

?

Disclaimer: These photos are of helmets that don't belong to me I keep looking though.

In January 1943 the 306th Bombardment group were the first to start modifying M1 helmets to fit over their communication systems by spreading out the sides. That caught on and soon other groups were doing it as well.

US AAF flak Helmets

But it wasn't comfortable and clearly a helmet was needed. Wilkinson Sword was contracted to make the M4 (which at that time was experimental) in Summer 1943. They simply didn't have the resources to make them fast enough for the Army, so contracts were sent back to the States, at which time the leather was replaced with fabric. About the same time, the M3 was developed and the M4 and M3 were both used in different positions in the airplane. Both the M3 and M4 were standardized in December 1943.

The M4 was liked because it fit close to the head, but earflaps were needed. So the M4A1 was adopted in April 1944, but was almost immediately superseded by the M4A2 in June. There are plenty of M4A2s available to the collecting community, but no one has seen an M4A1 (they were very similar). Then the M5 superseded the M3 in January 1945.

There are multitudes of prototypes in there too, but of course they are incredibly rare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast