MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

US Field Service Adrian Helmet WWI

Article about: Well, after months of waiting it has finally arrived. My WWI US Field Service Adrian Helmet. One of my bucket list items!! I have never seen another in person. This one is in excellent condi

MAP
    ?

Quote by Caseydiggz View Post
    I know Bugme has one, so I'd start by shooting him a message

Conversation on it here: Rare WWI M-15 American Field Service Adrian Helmet - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum
    Casey,

Thanks. Funny, this is where I got most of my information originally when I was researching my helmet. I'm not a member there so only found it via a web search. Even over at US MILITARY Forum, you can see how little info is out there.

And thanks for sending Bugme a message. I look forward to hearing his feed back if he responds to you. I would be more than happy to speak to him if he wishes.

Really appreciate the help. I love this helmet and want to find out as much as I can. A real rare piece of history.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Michael, I cannot help you with your search for information, but I will just say well done on finding such a rare helmet. You probably will find it hard to get information on such a rare unit but I wish you happy hunting! Leon.

Amazing find!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

MAP
    ?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Michael, I cannot help you with your search for information, but I will just say well done on finding such a rare helmet. You probably will find it hard to get information on such a rare unit but I wish you happy hunting! Leon.
    Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Amazing find!
    Thanks guys. Amazing it is. I keep on searching however. Including Caseydiggz link and my helmet, I have only seen 3 of these!!!!! and mine by far provides the most photos.

The funny thing is, although I'm never selling it, I have no idea what it's value is.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is a very cool helmet.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    That is a very cool helmet.
    Thanks Greg. Could not agree more. A real (almost) one of a kind! Would be nice to know how many are still left out of the original 2,300.......gives new meaning to "rarer then hens teeth" I would guess...

Very nice Michael indeed and has you've said a very rare Helmet,was wondering how Scott (Bugme) came about finding the relevant information?as this is a first for me,why would someone volunteering from college would need to wear a differant type of Helmet?was there a severe shortage?either way its a great looking period piece of history,a massive well done to you Bud................

MAP
    ?

Jake,

Thanks

There is some other information about the AFS on the web but mostly snippets. I understand that they were volunteers prior to the US entering the conflict. I do not know who organized this group of elite Ivy league students however.

Do you know Scott? I'm not a member of that or any other forum so maybe he might respond to caseydiggz and I could learn some more.

No Michael I know Scott is well respected over at USMF,and owns some pretty awesome Lids including Camo m1's.so as Adrians were available prior to the US's entry into the war and before the steel Brodie was accepted,why would normal enlisted men not have been issued the same Helmet,instead only members of the AFS?all seems a bit strange indeed................

MAP
    ?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    No Michael I know Scott is well respected over at USMF, and owns some pretty awesome Lids including Camo m1's.so as Adrians were available prior to the US's entry into the war and before the steel Brodie was accepted, why would normal enlisted men not have been issued the same Helmet, instead only members of the AFS? all seems a bit strange indeed................
    An answer that I am not 100% sure of. I do remember reading that when the US deployed to Europe in 1917, they did not have steel helmets (similar to the French, British and German at the beginning of the war). The US Gov't picked the British Brodie to be adopted as the standard issue helmet as they were available for immediate issue soon after the troops landed. As the US was not ready to manufacture their own, they purchased the initial batch from the British. Soon afterward, production in the US commenced and the US made M17 was issued in early 1918.

I would assume that the US AFS volunteers wore the Adrian as they were volunteering under the French Army (and not the British) and were "in country" prior to US entry. I think the first batch arrived in 1915. Once the US entered the war, they as well as other volunteer corps were absorbed into the US Army.

Good the hear that Scott is well respected as he seemed to be very excited about his pick-up back in 2010. Although rare, there are pictures of these AFS helmets being worn. So no concern they are fantasy items.

On a separate note: There are also photographs of US African/American soldiers wearing Adrians (but this is post the US entry into the war).

And while I do not plan on selling this beauty, I've always wondered what the value is on one of these. I guess, whatever someone is willing to pay. I know mine was not cheap but that was of little importance to me.

Here is another link on the AFS that I just found . To date, the most detailed and comprehensive account of the AFS. Pretty excited I found it.

History of the American Field Service in France. 1920. Preface. Contents.

Michael

And last a War Propaganda poster (credit ww1propaganda.com)

US Field Service Adrian Helmet WWI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast