Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 front seam fixed bail

Article about: Hi guys, This M1 has a lot going for it for me. Front seam fixed bail with headstamp 665A. Webbing seems to be the correct OD. The liner is a Firestone with also correct webbing I think. Onl

Default US M1 front seam fixed bail

Hi guys,

This M1 has a lot going for it for me. Front seam fixed bail with headstamp 665A. Webbing seems to be the correct OD. The liner is a Firestone with also correct webbing I think. Only thing is the finish of the helmet and the Lt bar. What do you make of this, reissued in the 50s? Correct? Just reworked by someone? Or what is it in your opinion?

Thanks!

US M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bailUS M1 front seam fixed bail

I would like to see a better picture of the Lt. bar. The leather chinstrap looks to-be a European clone, the buckle seems to be hidden in every picture.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks Marty. Correct, there is no buckle. Hope this picture helps.US M1 front seam fixed bail

There are other things that do not look correct.
    1. One of the chinstraps looks like reproduction.
    2. One of the fixed loops looks to have be replaced or tamped with, looks to be freshly sanded.
    3. I would like to see better pictures of the paint on the lid, hard to tell from the pictures.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

It looks like a decent original helmet and liner but the rank bar looks far too bright for something old so I would suggest it is a very recent addition. A pity.

Appears to have been repainted. When..??. Looks like a mismatched set. Too much wear of the liner compared to shell wear. Not a well balanced example IMO
    D.

?

Further to TankDestroyer’s comment on the carefully concealed buckle... the same goes for the bar-tack stitching on the web strap...
    Someone appears to have taken some trouble to hide the important details.
    The paintwork is horribly smooth.

RealSteel is spot on (naturally!) with his comments, too.

Bob