Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Value On British Tanker Helmet?

Article about: Cool helmets Tinlid... What is the deal with that first pic, and that extra piece on the top? I have never seen one like that. Fantastic collection dude

Default Re: Value On British Tanker Helmet?

Cool helmets Tinlid...
    What is the deal with that first pic, and that extra piece on the top? I have never seen one like that.
    Fantastic collection dude

?

Hi, that's the british RAC crash helmet, basically a copy of the miners helmet. Made of compressed fibre I think, the other is the canadian one, which is made of cork covered in canvas, a better design.Then in 42 they went over to the steel RAC helmet. Here's some more pics.
    Aaron.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Value On British Tanker Helmet?   Value On British Tanker Helmet?  

Value On British Tanker Helmet?   Value On British Tanker Helmet?  

Value On British Tanker Helmet?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Value On British Tanker Helmet? 

is that metal on the top then? of maybe a thicker piece of material..??
    What would that be for?
    I understand the bumper on the front...that makes sense, but extra material on the top..??

is it riveted on?
    also...the liner on the metal lid...it looks like it is from the turtle helmet...?
    is that standard for tanker gear?

thx
    Last edited by SatansCabanaBoy; 05-24-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: also...the liner on the metal lid...it looks like it is from the turtle helmet...? is that standard for tanker gear? thx

?

Hi, It's not metal on the top. just the same material as the rest of the helmet. Compressed cardboard or fibre? It's riveted on, it's the way they made them. The liner in the Mk1 RAC helmet is the standard Mk2 liner found in the normal Mk2 helmets, Mk3 turtle & as you can see the RAC helmet. Hope this is helpful. Aaron.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Value On British Tanker Helmet?   Value On British Tanker Helmet?  

Thanks cat.....very interesting.

Is there any marks/numbering on the inside? I am picturing something like the dog tags...?

?

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    Thanks cat.....very interesting.

Is there any marks/numbering on the inside? I am picturing something like the dog tags...?
    Hi, Look at picture No 12. A paper tag, 6 3/4, Helmets Ltd, Wheathampstead 1940.
    Aaron.

heh..I saw the tag, I thought there might be other numbers stamped into like the fiber dog tags for lot numbers or something. I have never seen one of these before. I have seen the other two styles before, but nothing like this.

Just in a side question, do you have the electrics for these-mic and headphones?

?

Hi, The only other markings are the size, which is under the leather sweat band, 6 3/4, also, P
    W^D
    The scrum which I think goes on both British & Canadian helmets holds the earphones, which I don't have. I've added a pic of a rare fibre rim RAC helmet.
    Aaron.

sweet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2