Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Were any mk2's used during the Normandy landings?

Article about: Hi silly question but were any mk2's still in front line service prior to Normandy?or was the mk3 standardized by then,this Helmet being offered on ebay is being sold as "Heavy textured

Default Were any mk2's used during the Normandy landings?

Hi silly question but were any mk2's still in front line service prior to Normandy?or was the mk3 standardized by then,this Helmet being offered on ebay is being sold as "Heavy textured Normandy invasion Helmet",of coarse there's no markings given also it has the pre 1941 chinstrap and large screw head,so obviously not BEF but too early for Normandy so far east?any opinions welcomed..........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Were any mk2's used during the Normandy landings?   Were any mk2's used during the Normandy landings?  

Were any mk2's used during the Normandy landings?   Were any mk2's used during the Normandy landings?  

Lots of MKII's shown in period photos of DDay on sword beach etc.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Cheers Jerry I always assumed the whole British army was kitted out with mk3's for D-day,thats what I've always seen in B/W film clips.anyway the starting price is quite high on this,and its seen better days however it is complete,but think the net was added later.....

What price is it? It might have been at DDay but without proof it could have been anywhere and I would not pay more for it than it is worth as a worn textured army MKII.
    Regards,

Jerry

I found it on the bay, the seller is well known for enhancing his items with unfounded claims, I would pass on it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Reg
    ?

Millions of mkIIs were still in use in 1944 in the British army. :-)

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I found it on the bay, the seller is well known for enhancing his items with unfounded claims, I would pass on it.
    No worries Jerry was only curious,all part of learning mate,recieved my modest mid-war yesterday,will post up under the thread you started new year.........

?

The Mk3 was brought into service on a maintenance basis, apart from troops in operational area's who would have received them first.
    The 21st Army Group would have had priority over these helmets.
    During 1944 100,000 of all types of helmets were required every month, & the Mk2 was still in use into the 1950's.
    This helmet is for sale from a dealer who you have to take a large dose of salts with, net not original to helmet, & the over paint could have been done at anytime during the 40's into the 50's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Were any mk2's used during the Normandy landings?   Were any mk2's used during the Normandy landings?  

?

It is actually a nice lid I do like the wear and patina but IMO Aaron is spot on about the textured over paint there is no way to know for positive when it was done.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 02-23-2014 at 09:32 PM.

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    It is actually a nice lid I do like the wear and patina but IMO Aaron is spot on about the textured over paint there is no way to know for positive when it was done.

Regards Mark
    I agree completely, looks good , but no telling when or where the overpaint may have been applied.

Brad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast