Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

What on earth is that?....

Article about: This is on Ebay at the moment as an M1 helmet, but this seems like some sort of Frankenstein of helmets. The seller is from Finland. Looks like a Post-war British type liner?(Clone maybe). T

Default What on earth is that?....

This is on Ebay at the moment as an M1 helmet, but this seems like some sort of Frankenstein of helmets. The seller is from Finland.
    Looks like a Post-war British type liner?(Clone maybe). The seam and chinstrap attachments looks like M1 helmet type.

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: What on earth is that?....

The shell is round, so I say the shell is either an French M51 or a SADF M63, but I have only seen the SADF M63 with fixed bales, so I would go with the French M51 that someone tried to make special by installing that liner there.

I agree, looks like the French M51.

Indeed - certainly not an M1.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I don't think it's a military liner....IMHO it's a movie prop....I have seen one other "M1" with a similar looking liner on a movie prop sale site attributed to "Kelly's heroes" it was a while ago

It was a Extras helmet

French M51 with Belgian liner, less crown piece and rubber bumpers? Spare parts it looks like

Maybe a portuguese M64?
    Cheers.
    Nuno

The M51...The ugliest helmet on earth...And,french made,yahoo!
    During my military time,i 've seen piles of them made unserviceable by a big hole made with a pikle axe,kind of frog "deactivation",hèhèhè..

Well, Russ is quite right, its the rather wonderful in all its myriad forms French Mle 51 (well, shell thereof anyway) with, indeed, a Belgian leather liner from their post-WW2 copy of the UK Mk2. First thought is, what's holding that liner in then? No apparent screws/bolts/rivets on the outside of the shell. Glue? Nothing's impossible.

The Israelis appear to be notorious for mix&match of this sort in the 1950s/60s, but I would lean towards some chancer just sticking bits together in the hope of conning a gullible collector into thinking they have found something extraordinary and rare. Hmm, I have some spare Mle 51s, and a couple of spare Danish resin liners, I wonder...