Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What is this fluted British helmet, FSS 40

Article about: Seen this at an antique store today, \\$200 price which may as well be the moon, but I took a few snaps of it anyway, sorry, iPhone pics. Tried to research it a bit, came up with maybe Portugu

Sharp eye mate

I did notice that extra hole but forgot to mention it. So what is the story on these? I take it that's not particularly collectible either?

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Sharp eye mate

I did notice that extra hole but forgot to mention it. So what is the story on these? I take it that's not particularly collectible either?
    Hi, the hole determines the grade of the metal or if there is a flaw in the production. No holes are combat grade helmets, the more holes that are drilled into the shell, the weaker the steel or more serious the "pressing" flaws. Leon.

?

If you collect home front helmets like me a No.2 is not a problem, & depending on who used the helmet ( rank markings ARP, fire & so on) the price can range from £25 to over £250.
    Due to shortages of helmets in 1940 using No.2's was a way supplying the ARP, fire, HG,repair parties & the like. As they did not need the Mk2 No.1 which had ballistic properties.
    No.2A Manganese rejects, B, mild steel strip, C, mild steel plate, D,mild steel.
    I notice your title says FSS 40, did you mean JSS, which is for Joseph Sankey & sons?
    Also these No.2A's came in black, so nice, & interesting to see it in khaki green. Maybe an early No.2A or it was going to be used by the home guard.

Yes, sorry JSS, posting after a long day...

Thx for the info guys, mystery definitely solved. That's what's great about this forum

In a way, this helmet seems quite rare. Too bad it's so high priced... I don't even have a Brit helmet, and this one is kinda cool. Don't know how it ended up where it is today, unless it was bought mail order after the war, and it was just another lid in a batch of thousands...

It's probably a helmet for the serious collector of "Brodie" helmets if I may use that term. If anyone has to have it, PM and I'll try to make something work out. Not close to my home, but I imagine they can probably probably take a card over the phone and ship.

Possibly adding to the mystery, but the colour reminds me the Mk.2's in use with the post-war Dutch Civil Defense?

Here are the images again, just so viewers don't have to toggle back to page 1. The colors seem fairly accurate from what I can remember, although it's artificial lighting inside the building.

Attachment 905520

Attachment 905521

Attachment 905522

?

Yes, the first picture of the outside does look very similar to the Dutch CD colour.
    But the pic's of the inside is definitely khaki green.
    Just the light I think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this fluted British helmet, FSS 40   What is this fluted British helmet, FSS 40  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2