Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

what helmets did the french use post ww2

Article about: by sebfrench76 Colt 45,i know that our army was probably (with Romanian and Deutsh Army...) in the top 5 of the "horrible looking" ones,but....the 1915 model you pictured,was in se

Default Re: what helmets did the french use post ww2

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    Colt 45,i know that our army was probably (with Romanian and Deutsh Army...) in the top 5 of the "horrible looking" ones,but....the 1915 model you pictured,was in service until 1926....The WWII French helmet was similar ,but a bit wider.Look was pitiful,indeed..
    Do you mean the Dutch (Netherlands, Holland) army or the Deutsche Armee (Germany)? Romanians and Dutch used the same helmet, but with different frontal badge.

I think the French helmet was quite cheerful and had character indeed! Quality is an other matter. My son used his air rifle on a Belgian MkII clone and a French M26. The .22 pellet pierced the M26 and only dented the MkII. He was rather disappointed in the resillience of the steel used.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 10-22-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling

So sorry...I meant Dutch,of course,without sarcasms,be sure of that,since i'm laughing at my own army...

Quote by sebfrench76 View Post
    So sorry...I meant Dutch,of course,without sarcasms,be sure of that,since i'm laughing at my own army...
    No offense taken, since no offense meant!

Well, being Dutch I am used to be taken for a German by the French, since our language has some similarities with the German language. This misunderstanding is mostly solved rapidly by speaking some French.

My mother was very happy to welcome your French troops in Breda in may 1940! My grandfather exhausted his champagne and cigar supply with your countrymen! Thanks for trying to assist us!

Cheers,
    Emile

Emile,we tried to help you,but sadly failed,as we failed for ourselves....
    I generally take your fellow citizens for Belgium ones ,rather than German ones...
    I have the pleasure to meet sometimes Dutch peoples,since i'm working in front of a downtown and cheap hotel in Rouen.It's always a pleasure,polite and well educated human beings.

Well, the difference between Flemish and Dutch is in the pronunciation. I do thank you for your compliment about our people. But not always do we meet this standard, I am afraid. Still, we enjoy visiting France and it has to offer to us tourists.

"Un grand merci!"
    Emile

?

I like the French helmet. It is a classic. See my other thread where I have come across a couple of Belgian Adrians in Galway in the West of Ireland. They have come a long way. It would be a pity for them to fall into the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate them.

Belgium is an interesting country, neither one thing or the other. Apparently in danger of breaking up. A pity I think.

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    The French did not wear M51's in 1945-46, since the type wasn't introduced till 1951. The French did use US, British and of course French helmets.

I would imagine them to wear the M26 or M35 helmets. It is quite possible for them to already wear the US M1.

Russian helmets would seem out of the question.
    I always wondered if the British MKII helmet was ever used in Vietnam? Ive never seen a photo of any soldiers wearing a British helmet in Indo China?

anybody have a photo of the British helmet worn in Vietnam? or worn by South Vietnamese soldiers? Ive seen lots of period photos of Adrians & French M51's in use

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2