Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What should one expect to pay for a British MK !! or a Dutch clone?

Article about: I've been wanting to get my hands on a Brodie helmet for awhile now, but i don't really know what a good price to pay is. What do you think is the usual going rate for either a legitimate MK

Default What should one expect to pay for a British MK !! or a Dutch clone?

I've been wanting to get my hands on a Brodie helmet for awhile now, but i don't really know what a good price to pay is. What do you think is the usual going rate for either a legitimate MKII or one of those dutch CD clones in the following condition?

-Paint is mostly present, can have some chips and scratches
    -Liner intact, wearable, cross-pad may or may not be there
    -chinstrap and chinstrap lugs in tact
    -minimal rusting

Judging from scattered threads for a few years ago, i assume 35-40 is the usual going rate for these? Does repainting effect pricing much?

Thank you for any help!

?

Default Re: What should one expect to pay for a British MK !! or a Dutch clone?

Hi, A clone Dutch Mk2 normally go for about £20-30 tops, not that collectable. British WW2 Mk2's are a different story, a black painted home front helmet in reasonable condition with no ARP markings can be got for about the same £20-£30, with a W,M or FAP on the front £30-60. An army Mk2 can fetch any where from £30-120.
    Aaron

NCA
    ?

Just to agree with Aaron.He is spot on with the prices.You just have to be careful what is Homefront/Civil defense issue and what is definite Army issue.
    Decals and painted divisional flashes can also bump the prices up too.
    i'd always look for one that is complete as crown pads are difficult to find on the loose.

Would those be shipped prices, or that plus shipping is reasonable?

Also, where is usually a good source of finding them? Ebay? A trading forum?

?

You would have to pay for shipping on top of those prices, ebay, military dealer web sites are an easy place to find helmets, but buying at shows or junk shops does away with shipping costs.
    If you do find something on a web site & your not sure about it post some pics up here, I'm sure someone will let you know if it's ok or not.

I found a black helmet with a "CCP" stamp that looks pretty complete and in good condition. ? - Imgur

I assume this is one of those common homefront helmets? Since this would be mostly just to get the look of the brodie rather than owning a legitimate "artifact" or rare helmet, i would think a homefront helmet would suit me well. what do you think?

?

It's a nice clean looking plastfort helmet which is made of bakelite.
    Aaron

I finally scored a Canadian MK2 for about 45 USD. It is a bit roughed up, but it has a complete liner and chin strap, so i am pleased: Photo Album - Imgur

IT seems to have what must be postage stamps placed on it and painted over...wonder what the deal with that is. You can clearly see a stamp in the first picture.

Liner stamped VMC 1943. Neat i guess. EDIT: shell stamped CL/C 1942.

About the liner, i was under the impression they attached via a screw on the top. Mine seems to have some sort of rivet or something. What is that about? replacement?

Size 7. About 3/4 short of being my size unfortunatly, but i think i did alright. Maybe paid a bit to much, but at least i own one. How did i do experts? any help?

EDIT: any tips on keeping the liner and foam pad nice and fresh? Wouldn't want them to crumble on me!

Also just found out it is Canadian instead of British. Are these any more valuable?

That helmet looks fine in all respects to me. Standard combat helmet with all Canadian parts. The liner bolt is the proper one...it is just installed the other way around. It is not right, but not wrong either. Canadian marked chinstrap is good. Not sure what that is on the front...could be some remnants of a civil defence decal. Combat helmets were used for civil defence as well as the DP&H helmets. The liner and pad have survived 70+ years so far and look good. I would leave them be.

You got one heck of a deal on it, a complete Canadian lid is a good thing. Now you just need to find a two-tone camo net to toss onto it.

Liner stamped VMC 1943. Neat i guess. EDIT: shell stamped CL/C 1942.
    VMC-Viceroy Manufacturing Co. of Toronto
    CL/C-Canadian Motorlamp Co.
    Chinstrap made by Backstay Standard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast