Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II

Article about: by mk1rceme GSW DP&H helmets have spot welded chinstrap lugs. Your helmet has the rivetted lugs which makes it combat grade. These were used for civil defence purposes as well, but this

?

Default Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II

Morning gents I added a new helmet to my collection about a month ago and by the service brown paint, chinstrap clips the liner fixing screw and the liner it self which is a Viceroy Mk II dated 1942 that this should be a early to mid war Canadian produced helmet .
    I would not ask for assistance but for the life of me I can not find the production code stamp and or the makers mark such as GSW or CC/L pressed in to the steel near the rear edge like my other Canadian manufactured lids is there something I am missing here
    Any thoughts or opinions would be most welcome

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II   Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II  

Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II   Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II  

Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II   Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II  

?

Default Re: Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II

I'm not really up on Canadian helmets but did'nt the helmets for the Canadian ARP stamped in ink G.S.W D.P.&H.
    I'm sure someone here with better knowledge than me will fill you in on the right details.

All Canadian lids have stamps in the metal itself, the only inkstamps would be a C broad arrow near the crown of the shell. You would have to remove the liner to see it.

I have heard of missing mfr. stamps, stamps on the outside of the shell, lightly stamped so it is barely noticable, or even stamps that have been completely clipped off during the manufacturing process or just barely peeking out from under the rim edging. Could be possible that it is under the liner somwhere too.

I like helmets like these, they add a little mystery to a collection.

?

Thanks for the help gents It was nice and sunny here today so I went out side and had a really good look at the helmet and if there are production/manufacture marks on it they are hidden ie... under the rim edging or a liner pad.
    I think I will leave well enough alone as you said it adds a little mystery to the collection

Regards Mark K

G'Day Mark,
    I had a look in Roger Lucy's book "Tin Lids"
    I might have found a reference to your helmet,in 1942 the DP&H procured helmets from General Steel Wares for A.R.P use,these helmets looked as if they were marked G.S.W. DP&H in paint rather than embossed into the rim.
    Maybe the markings in your lid have been erased over the years or over painted ?
    Not saying that this is what yours is,but just a possible answer to your mystery
    Cheers Mick

?

Thanks Mick my curiosity is starting to get the better of me know I may end up pulling the liner from the old girl yet and having a peak.

Regards Mark K

GSW DP&H helmets have spot welded chinstrap lugs. Your helmet has the rivetted lugs which makes it combat grade. These were used for civil defence purposes as well, but this is the easiest way to tell the two apart. There was a batch of 1942 GSW combat shells that did not pass inspection and were used for civil defence. If I remember correctly, the batch code on them was AP.

?

Great bit of info there regarding the chin strap lugs, have you got a picture or two of the welded lugs.

?

Thanks very much for all the information gentlemen I have pulled the liner out for a quick peak and IMO I am no closer to knowing the origins ie... manufacturer of this MkII as there is no sign of a stamp or mark present on the shell so the Mystery thickens

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II   Why can't I find the production code on this Mk II  

?

This one is for sale on ebay, & it has the welded chin strap lugs that I've never seen before, (thanks for pointing these out Mk1rceme). The stamping on the shell is partially covered by the rim.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast