Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 or WW2 helmets?

Article about: Hello everyone, I am new to this site and i have begun to collect war items. The following is a few pictures that I took of my helmets, and I think that they are WW1, however I do not know a

Default WW1 or WW2 helmets?

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and i have begun to collect war items. The following is a few pictures that I took of my helmets, and I think that they are WW1, however I do not know as much as most of you guys who are on here. So I am hoping one of you experts can tell me something about it, or point me in the right direction. Thank you for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 or WW2 helmets?   WW1 or WW2 helmets?  

WW1 or WW2 helmets?   WW1 or WW2 helmets?  

Default Re: WW1 or WW2 helmets?

Hi' GP,first one with no rim is a 1st patt helmet ww1,one with rim is 2nd patt ww1.Just to be sure is the liner attachment on crown a flatten pin or screw pin
    if flatten pin spot on.Cheers Paul

Hello General,

Like Paul says, these are most likely British WW1 helmets. The one without the fitted rim is an early one. Known as the Brodie. The second on is a MkI. The chinstrap posts are attached to the helmet with split rivets (UK method) as opposed to machine rivets (US method).

Look at this Spanish site. It is very interesting, even if you do not speak Spanish (use Babelfish).

Have fun collecting!

Cheers,
    Emile

INGLÉS MK1 1916

Wow, Thank you guys so much, thats exactly what I have! Now i can Proudly display my WW1 (Not WW2) helmets! Thanks Again for taking the time to look at my post!

Hi,
    The rimless A Patt helmet im not sure of, the reason i say this is if you look closely you can see
    where the rim was this indicated it as Mk1 not brodie. I think you will find the brodie had a more pronounced dome, this is only my oppinion on this helmet i may be wrong, but never the less
    they are great helmets to have in your collection. Good luck with your collecting and lets see more as you get them.
    dave.

Dave, you might be right about the trace of a removed rim. That would make it a converted Brodie into MkI configuration!?

Have a look at this site, quite informative! Great war collection
    Emile
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 01-26-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling

hi general patton and welcome in , youve started off on the right foot with good honest helmets , i hope you get great pleasure from owning them and dont forget to post more pics as an when your collection grows cheers james

?

Good thread. Links to great sites.
    Thanks
    SteveR