Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 Australian Parachute Regiment Helmet

Article about: Hello all, this is an Australian Parachute Regiment Helmet, 1942, made from Duperite..The WW2 Australian Parachute Regiment lasted from 1942-1946. They never saw combat. This is a rare helme

Default WW2 Australian Parachute Regiment Helmet

Hello all, this is an Australian Parachute Regiment Helmet, 1942, made from Duperite..The WW2 Australian Parachute Regiment lasted from 1942-1946. They never saw combat. This is a rare helmet named to John Dorrington possibly from 2/2 commando squadron (from the seller, yet to confirm)
    WW2 Australian Parachute Regiment HelmetWW2 Australian Parachute Regiment HelmetWW2 Australian Parachute Regiment HelmetWW2 Australian Parachute Regiment HelmetWW2 Australian Parachute Regiment HelmetWW2 Australian Parachute Regiment HelmetWW2 Australian Parachute Regiment HelmetWW2 Australian Parachute Regiment HelmetWW2 Australian Parachute Regiment Helmet

MAP
    ?

One I have never seen nor heard of before. Nice!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Fascinating helmet! Interesting that they never saw combat.

?

The helmet is basically a despatch riders helmet, that I think was only used for training with the parachute regiment.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The helmet is basically a despatch riders helmet, that I think was only used for training with the parachute regiment.
    Its a quirk of history that almost all examples here in Australia are directly attributed to the 1st Australian Para..They were stacked put into storage due to lack of use. Thus they all have a little rim from stacking, they are nearly always in really good condition. As far as combat,as far as i am aware initially these helmets were to be used due to a lack of anything else, but i have seen a 1944 photo with some wearing the British steel one (there is an out of print regimental history book im trying to get hold of)WW2 Australian Parachute Regiment Helmet

"British pattern paratrooper's helmet as adopted and used by 1 Australian Paratroop Battalion in their airbourne assault on the Markham Valley, New Guinea in September 1943." https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL/17161/
    WW2 Australian Parachute Regiment Helmet
    Edit, i should point out, that the men who jumped at Markham Valley were actually Australian artillery men supporting U.S paratroopers..(The AWM may be wrong)
    https://anzacday.org.au/jumping-into-history

A pity they didn't see action with those helmets - the sight of these 'scrotumheads' descending would have been a terrifying sight!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Did you check out the five John Dorrington's on the WWII Nominal Roll (AWM site)?

Oz.

Not yet mate, ive been working since ive got it..hopefully good news.
    Just checked and logically it could only be one of two, trouble is it only gives you the Posting at Discharge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast