Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW2 British chin straps

Article about: Some enterprising sole invented the adjusta pad, for helmets without the standard chin strap lug like the civilian protective helmet. Also for some reason on this US helmet, which also has d

?

This chin strap is on a Mk2 No.2C of the home guard, & are pretty hard to find.
    I notice Mark showed one on his Canadian Mk2 & components thread, & have seen a picture on this forum of a Canadian wearing one?
    But as far as I know they are chin straps used on home front helmets, or maybe on Mk2 No.2's & No.1's. Any idea's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

WW2 British chin straps  

?

Hi Aaron actually the chinstrap was shown by another member in the component sticky it was grouped in with three Canadian war time and post war chinstraps I have yet to see this variation used on a Canadian manufactured Mk II.
    Anything is possible though and I would not rule out the possibility that in a pinch they could have been adopted and used for numerous reasons Canadians are known as an unruly bunch and there are many period images that support Mk II chinstraps were used on the MK III and the Mk I HSRAC.

Regards Mark

?

Hi Mark, Warbuff started a thread back on Jan11 14, what is this chin strap. I said a British home front strap, but then Piotrek showed this picture.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British chin straps  

?

Hi Aaron IMO your first assumption is correct and it is a British manufactured chinstrap to the best of my knowledge there were only two variations of war time produced chinstraps the first being the standard Mk II and the second being an early 1940 variation with a sewn center loop, blackened buckle with closed center strut.
    These however are quite controversial amongst Canadian collectors as some feel they are very early war time produced and there are others that believe them to be early post war I my self have two such variations in my collection and although similar in construction they are not the same as one is manufactured from the same textiles and khaki cloth as the standard Mk II and is C-/l\ stamped while the other is constructed from different textiles and the color of the material is some what of a different shade of Khaki green and bares the Canadian government acceptance stamp which was not initiated till mid 1953 but until period evidence such as images can be produced with this early type of chinstrap on a Canadian helmet there will always be a question mark concerning the production date.
    I my self am of the opinion that there were two different production runs of said chinstrap do to the nature of the textiles used and the construction an early war and an early post war variation this however is unsubstantiated at this point .

Regards Mark

Great thread Aaron,so much information available,those marked one's with an M or asterix are being sold on ebay most sellers either dont know or wont say there Homefront chinstraps so many thanks for that,never knew there was a mk1 and mk2 type with only small subtle differances...........

?

A Mk1 chin strap, easily identifiable by the large brass wire loops. They measure 25.5mm x 12.75mm, & were issued from sometime in 1937 until early 1938.
    This is when the Mk2 chin strap & Mk2 chin strap lug replaced both the MK1 chin strap & Mk1 chin strap lug.
    You can see the differences between the Mk1 & Mk2 chin straps ( size of the wire loops) any other differences might be down to a different manufacture.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British chin straps   WW2 British chin straps  

WW2 British chin straps  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    A bit like a Mk3 chin strap this one,but with a different sliding buckle & it's non-elasticated,so most likely for civilian use only.
    Update: Pretty sure it's a post war Israeli made strap.
    Aaron this style chinstrap has been discussed here on my thread before ,you mentioned it being israeli in one of your posts mk11 help id really like to have it confirmed for sure if this was used by israel post war ?or just simply a homefront strap were are not familiar with ,i ask the question because my latest cph fireguard helmet has the exact same strap you show here and i just cant see it being israeli tooWW2 British chin strapsWW2 British chin strapsWW2 British chin strapsWW2 British chin strapsWW2 British chin strapsWW2 British chin straps

?

Hi James, I always thought these straps were British home front, as the one on my SFP CPH has one very similar. But the buckle seems to be made of steel & flat on mine, whereas the one on your CPH the buckle is sort of chromed & round.
    On Brendon's helmets, he says they are Israeli.
    So are they British ww2 made, sold to Israel post war, or are they post war Israel made straps?
    Apart from what I've found out & pictures shown, I can't be of any more help.
    Maybe one day we will, but don't remove the strap just yet, just in case it is right when more info' comes to light.

thanks Aaron i will leave them be ,i just thought it a coincidence why i would have not one but two similar straps and they both were israeli in origin ,it just didnt make sense ,ill stay tuned for any further developments ,cheers james

?

This Mk3 chin strap is on an army Mk2 dated 1942, there is a faint ink stamp which dates it as 1941,unfortunately the maker name is not readable.
    As I have this one in hand & not just what I've seeen on the net, it does look like a number of these Mk3 straps were stamped with date & maker name.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British chin straps  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast